Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Hallo, Brake pedal on my 2005 A4 2.0l Tdi goes down. Brakes…

Hallo, Brake pedal on...

Hallo, Brake pedal on my 2005 A4 2.0l Tdi goes down. Brakes are not as good as few years back. After reading through much of the posts, I suspect the brake fluid to be old and possibly even some air in the system. My question: I want to bleed the system but have never done this on an ABS. Done it many times on normal/older brake systems. Now, it seems I should take extra care not to get more air into the system and should use a pressure bleeder to do this. Should all the wheels be done at the same time or can I do one wheel at a time? Secondly, can I introduce the new fluid and bleed simply by opening the nipple or should I use pump action on the pedal, like in the older systems?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? When was it last changed?

I've had the car since 2009. Never during my time...?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, have done many things on it myself. I grew up on a farm and have worked on many type of vehicles and tractors in my time. I think I'm quite experienced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just the difference in bleeding the ABS type brakes to that of the non-ABS types??

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

Well, the use of the pressure system. I've always done it wheel by wheel with someone pumping the brake pedal. Opening with the pump action, and closing the nipple with the release action...

I'm upset! I asked the question and was under the impression it would it would cost me $5. After I gave permission to take the funds, you took $30-90 from my account. This is not ethical and I will ensure you are reported!!!
9/20/2017
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

First off check your brake rotors to make sure they are not tapered or warped and in need of machining on a brake lathe. Next make sure your brake pads are the correct ones for the vehicle and not aftermarket which are to hard. Also make sure the pads have not gotten to hot and have hot spots. To bleed the brakes you must keep the reservoir full and do the pump the pedal and open the bleeder method to bleed the brakes Do this about 5 times at each wheel to remove the old fluid and any possible air.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician