Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine light came on on my 2010 Audi A3 2.0 T. Read code…

Engine light came on on...
Engine light came on on my 2010 Audi A3 2.0 T. Read code with my VAGII scanner - P2404. Please help diagnose
9/15/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

That is an EVAP system leak for emission controls. You need to locate the leak with a smoke machine. Most shops have these and some parts stores loan them out too. It a fuel vapor leak.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

ok, any chance it's a faulty part (purge valve or canister, etc) or is it definitely a leak

Sure is possible, so is a bad gas cap actually, but this special test will show it for sure.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

You can also test the purge and vent valves with your scan tool too. They may work, but they can also leak.

Thanks again and let me know if you have any more questions.

thanks!

Yep, thank you too.