Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Not blowing cold air, I have no leak on the ground and it…

Customer Question
Not blowing cold air ...

Not blowing cold air

Mechanic's Assistant: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?

I have no leak on the ground and it was charged last year.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

2001 TT quattro

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

I seldom drive it so when I did and AC was not cold it was a bit of a surprise.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Audi
9/15/2017
Audi Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 11 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Is the compressors clutch engaging when the ac is turned on?

but it does not cycle on and off.

sit in your car. key on. engine off. operate the temp control from hot to cold then back to hot. tell me if you hear an actuator moving behind the dash

I hear the motion, subtle and in pulses in the interim then longer towards the upper end. But I think it is moving.

ok, and you are sure the clutch plate on the end of the compressors pulley is spinning?

Oh yes, checked it on, then off. It definitely is spinning with AC on. Again no cycling on and off though

ok, standby

ok, you need to hook up an ac manifold gauge set to see what the high side and low side pressures are.

92 psi on low side, 120 psi on high side. I do not have the specs for this vehicle. Can you tell me what I should be reading? This is measured with car running and AC on Low.
Scratch that, it is 101 psi Low, 125 psi high. Pretty close to each other which does not seem correct.

measure it with the car not running please

With Engine Off the pressures (high and Low) are the same.

ok, what are they?

120 psi , leaked down to 110 psi since last message.

how hot is it where you are located?

72 F at the moment

you are overcharged. the pressures should both read the ambient temps.