peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

The fuel gauge is stuck on empty..its rises a little but

Customer Question

the fuel gauge is stuck on empty..its rises a little but thats it and ive got full thank
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: its diesel.. and it starts usual
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: a5 / 09 plate
JA: Are you fixing your A5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i'm not took it to the shop but i'm been told i have to buy a new fuel pump which is pretty expensive
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What happens and causes this fault here is the fuel level sensor/sender itself.The sensor fails ( which is attached to the fuel pump) and causes this issue here.On some models you can get the fuel level sensor separate from the fuel pump and only have to replace the sender but the pump has to be removed to do this.On other models though you cannot get this sensor separate and the pump assembly has to be replaced.This looks to be the case in your model here with the entire pump needing replaced.

You can check with a local parts store or dealers parts department to see if they sell just the sensor.If they do then ask the shop/garage to just replace the sensor if you want.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you by any chance have a part number for these part

Unfortunately my info isnt listing a part number for this here myself.You can though however take your vehicles VIN/Identification number and contact a dealers parts department and they can give you the part numbers at no charge as well as tell you if you can get just the sensor.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete