Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Emission light that does not go off, On the Audi A4

Customer Question
Emission light that does not...
Emission light that does not go off
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: On the Audi A4 dashboard I checked the manual and it says it the emission light
JA: What year is your A4?
Customer: 2009
JA: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it for the 3rd time now to the mechanic Volkswagen and Audi mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Audi
9/13/2017
Audi Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 2 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did the mechanics say what has to be done to correct this fault here or did they check for any fault codes set at all with this issue?

Let me know,thanks Pete

They regulated the flaos
They regulated the flaps

Is there any codes setting now or are they saying you need to drive to reset the emissions at all?

they say I need to drive

O.k.,this drive has to be done to complete the emission monitors.This can be an extensive drive in some cases as it can take time and certain parameters/signals for the computer to relearn these.Below is a procedure I have used in the past several times before to get this to quickly run and pass.If it runs and passes the light should go off.If it does not go off after doing this drive cycle below once or twice then the mechanic/shop needs to re check for fault codes as there will be another component that is at fault causing this issue needing repaired.

Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 81 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between (41-86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between (41-86°F).
The start-up ECT and IAT are within (16°F) of each other.
The battery voltage is between 9-16 volts.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Turn OFF all of the accessories,
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8 minutes depending on the start up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria is maintained:
The service brake is depressed.
The automatic transmission is in drive.
The manual transmission is in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician