Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Over the winter my Audi A6 slid into a curve pretty hard and…

Customer Question
over the winter my Audi...
over the winter my Audi A6 slid into a curve pretty hard and bent the wheel and the control arm. The Audi dealer repaired things and did a 4 wheel alignment, but the car still feels like it is floating a bit. The steering does not feel as tight as it did in the past and it seems when driving on the highway at speed I have to constantly correct the wheel. could there be something wrong with the steering column? It seems Audi would have found this or on the alignment it would show as and issue?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Audi
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Audi Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

to be honest Audi dealers tend not to have the best reputation when it comes to setting up a 4 wheel alignment

so I'd consider taking the car to a specialist to have another go at it.

but before that check all the tyre pressures are up to the max and

try moving the steering wheel from lock to lock (this is with either the steering joints disconnected at the wheel end or at least the wheels off the ground and engine off) and confirm that the steering rack moves smoothly from lock to lock

if its tight throughout the movement this could be a faulty steering rack or a seized strut top bearing
if you've been getting any strange clonking or 'boings' from the front suspension this points to a worn strut top

if there are tight patches of movement then its likely that a steering column universal joint is seizing up

so try dousing the joints one at a time in WD40 - or similar penetrating oil and turning the wheel in between to see if this makes any difference

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you