Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've got a seized piston in the right front caliper of my…

Customer Question
I've got a seized...

I've got a seized piston in the right front caliper of my '01 A6 4.2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pulled the pads and noticed the seized piston. Put the lower pads back in and pumped the breaks to see if the piston would move. It did. Now I can't get it back in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids recently?

Not today. The car hasn't been driven much in the past couple years.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want to get at the piston to get a clamp on in to see if I can push it back in.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
7/30/2017
Audi Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

If caliper was seized to begin with it is possible the piston can come out but not in. The only other thing you can try is to crack a bleeder, if it still doesn't push back int it will need to be replaced which is likely he cause even if it does push back in. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ordered a new caliper. It comes in Friday. I know I'll need a beaker bar to get to old one off. What other tools will I need?
Thanks!

Just a basic tool set should be fine, no special tools are needed. Only advice I have is wait until new part is there before pulling off old caliper, this way you can minimize the amount of air getting into system. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.