peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a 2008 a4 convertible and my top is opened and it

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2008 a4 convertible and my top is opened and it won't close. I tried to use the manual key but it does not unlatch the top cover. It does not spin counter-clock wise at all
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: no, if I unlatch it with the switch then I can latch it with the key, but for some reason it does not twist pass the middle it twists to the latch side but not the unlatch side
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am doing it myself now. I can open the back cover a bit with the electric switch, but then I can't pull up the roof by hand. when I close it fully back, I can't open it with the manual key
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Another weird thing is the electric switch to open close the roof is reversed, it opens (tries to) when is on the closing position and closes when I put it for the opening position
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The fault may be due to an issue with the motor or control switch or most common can be a faulty position switch sending a false signal on what position the roof is in.This will disable the top operation completely.What has to be done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will help to diagnose the fault.If no codes are set the scan tool is used to monitor the switch/sensor signals to locate the faulty sensor needing replaced.

The emergency procedure I see is for if the top is closed and you want it open.If you would like I can post this entire procedure and you can follow it to see if it will help to get it to close just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My roof is open now and I want to close it, Do you know how I can attempt to do this?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but when I place it in the position is asking, it spins to the side that locks but not to the side that unlocks (counter-clock wise) the roof cover.

Does your manual say you can turn it counter clock wise to unlock it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is what the manual says it should but I can't turn it that way. I can unlatch the cover with the electric switch and then lock it with the key but the key does not unlatch the cover. When I unlatch the cover with the electric switch (normal) then I can't pull up the roof from the compartment (seems to be locked in there
)

O.k.,unfortunately my info is not showing a procedure to unlock it again manually.The only emergency procedure I show is how to open it.

BUt I did find info on the key being able to turn one way to lock and the other to unlock.Try pushing down on the top or component you are trying to unlock and then try to unlock it as this sometimes works.If this does not work then this does indicate there is a mechanical fault with one of the top components and this is why it isnt operating normally as it should or unlocking with the key.In this case usually a dealer or experienced repair facility would have to check this further to locate and pinpoint the mechanical failure ( which may require some interior paneling to be removed to access the roof components) to then locate and repair it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete