AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

I have no right hand low beam on 1999 Audi A4 already

Customer Question

I have no right hand low beam on 1999 Audi A4 already replaced the switch on the steering column
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: ?????? What fluids
JA: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replace the low beam lamp tested for power at the low beam no power on the right hand side only power on the right hand side looking for the headlight relay can't find it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a certificate of qualification for the province of Ontario as a truck and Coach technician but I have no schematics on this Audi
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have replaced the switch on the steering column that brought the left low beam back to life but I have no right hand low beam I tested for power I've replaced the lamp no power on the right hand side only power on the left hand side trying to find the relays for the low beams I'm not sure if Audi has a separate one for the right hand side can you show me where the location of the relays are
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 2 months ago.
Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. With the key in the ON position and the headlight switch turned to the on position, verify B+ to fuses 20 and 21.
If no power was supplied to the fuses, check for power into and out of the light switch E1 as follows:
B+ should be present on pin 2/X Yellow/Black (GE/SW) with the key in the ON position. This is power in from the ignition switch to operate the headlights.
B+ should be present on pin 8/56 Yellow (GE) with the key ON and the headlight switch in the on position. This is the power out of the E1 switch to power the fuses and operate the headlights.
If power was supplied to the fuses, manually apply power to the output side of the fuses. Fuse 20 powers the right side headlight. Fuse 21 powers the left side headlight. The headlights should turn on.
Verify power to pin T8h/2 at the headlight assembly with the key in the ON position and the headlights switched on. This is the power into the headlight assembly for the headlights.
If that tests ok in test 4, the bulb or igniter may be faulty. Try swapping with the functioning headlamp to test.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Those tests have already been performance but there is no power on the right hand side at the bulb
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My original question is location of the headlight relay and if there is a separate rely for the left hand side and the right hand side
Are this regular halogen bulbs or HID lights?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
regular halogen bulbs nothing fancy
Ok this are control by the multifunction switch it has an integrated relay inside

If you only had the problem with the left side before and now is the right side then you may have a defective multifunction switch it won't be the first time that a new switch is defective.