AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Changed rotors and pads. I did the front first. Test drove

Customer Question

changed rotors and pads. I did the front first. Test drove it, no issues. I did the rear brakes next. Had some issues with the rear caliper cylinder so I took off the caliper and compressed the pistons. Everything went back together fine. Bled the system with a power bleeder at 12 psi. Now the peddle is spongy and I have very little braking.
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?
Customer: 2013 Audi S4, 50,000 miles, Just replaced pads and rotors
JA: Are you fixing your S4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: power bleeder brakes bleed. No bubbles. RR, RF, LR, LF
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i think thats it
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

I have never been a fan of those power bleeders I would do a plastic tube that fits on the screw and run it into a bottle, and do a self bleed that way, I have never ever had any problems after bleeding a system this way, I have attached a video that explains my process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-Q_lP0dOk

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Audi does not recommend bleeding hat way. They recommend a power bleeder to avoid master cylinder damage.

how can you damage the master cylinder by using it? there is no pressure on the system? unlike using a pressure bleeder.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
because the brake peddle can depress further than it should with pressure in the system that could cause damage. This is widely said in Bentley and in forums.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It will damage the actuator in the MC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It says youre a 17 year Audi mechanic? Is that true?