kyle swart
kyle swart,
Experience:  Certified Technician at Redding Volkswagen
88077728

2004 audi a4 quattro-I cant get it through emssions. The

Customer Question

2004 audi a4 quattro-I cant get it through emssions. The evap system and secondary air system is "not ready". Thought it was a miles thing but I have put over 1,000 miles on it since this started almost a month ago. No codes in computer except "brake booster". Please help.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hi im kevin whats the actual fault code you have ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only fault code is for "brake booster", I do not know the actual code because I do not have the car here in front of me. You dont think this would keep the evap system and secondary air system from being "ready" do you?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Brake boost is run off vac system so this could confuse the system into not resetting evap system

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay...but i thought the "brake booster" is a mechanical part no?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Brake booster is a large diapram run from intake vacumme.that uses the vacumme from intake to multiply the braking force.this fault code will need to be sorted

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would it be the "check valve" or sensor thats on the booster?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Its more likely the pressure sensor .the actual code will be needed to confirm this

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll get that for you and get back to you soon.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Ok perfect

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Code related to booster..
17887=P1479
18232
18227
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

This would point toward a booster vac pump failure .this will need to be tested with vac gauge

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Take a look at this pic a d tell me if this is the part please.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thats the one

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if it turns out that this unit is defective this woukd keep the evap and secondary air system from being "ready"?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

This is highly possible this needs to be fixed to get car through test anyway

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I called the dealer and I got the part number here's the part number that they gave me (8E0-927-317-H) the one they gave me has an H at the end but I'm also finding that same part number without the H can you tell me the difference between the two please
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

The later the leter the newer the nart for instance is it ended with an a originally .everytime the part is improved the letter gets higher

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Kevin, brake booster pump did not resolve the issue. The brake booster code p1479 is still there. And the computer is still saying that the :evap system and secondary air is not ready" so it didnt pass emissions again
Expert:  kyle swart replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. It appears your main goal here is to pass emissions testing, so I am going to focus on that. I also happen to be a licensed smog technician. Is the check engine lamp currently illuminated? thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No CEL.

What would really help you out here is the ross-tech scanner. It has the abilty to " force" thru the emissions moniters thru "basic settings". Since your vehicle will still pass the test with the evap moniter not run, I would run the secondary air system with the scan tool. It will either "pass", or if there is an issue with the system it will immediately throw a code if it fails the test. This is much easier than a standard "drive cycle" for setting the emissions moniters.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
These are the only codes:Code related to booster..
17887=P1479
18232
18227
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing related to the emssions issue though.

Right. Its ok to have codes, you will still pass the emissions test, as long as the check engine lamp is off. You just need all the moniters ran except evap, its ok for it to not have ran yet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The tech at emissions said i need 1 more monitore but i have been teying that for almsot 60 days now. The mechanicnhas been using a "snap on" scanner. He reset the code friday.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I dont anyone who has that a "ross-tech" scanner.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Seconday air pump has been confimred working.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Any chance that the break booster issue is keeping the monitors rrom being ready?

Typically, you would have to have a returning issue bad enough to turn the check engine lamp on to prevent moniters from running. Secondary air is a real finicky one to set. I would ensure your thermostat is working properly, that will definitely prevent moniters from running. Also, where are you located? If it isn't real cold air injection will run less frequently.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm in Connecticut, also I have just discovered the the water outlet in back of the motor has failed and occasionally it dumps the coolant. This will be fixed Thursday but would that keep the montitors from being read?

Only if the leak is also going into the coolant temp sensor and causing a faulty reading. I highly reccomend you have them change the thermostat while servicing your cooling system. It may be part of your issue, and it is good maintenance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will do.....thanks.

no prob.