Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Are you a live person' So you will relay the issues to

Are you a live...

Are you a live person'

Mechanic's Assistant: No. I'm the Audi Mechanic's Assistant.

Are you a robot

Mechanic's Assistant: I'm an assistant to the Audi Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.

So you will relay the issues to them> ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

Can I use a block tester to check if my head gasket is blown?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

130k audi a4. car starts smooth except after 10s its misfires and idles hard. oil has gotten into spark plug wells

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your A4?

2002 3.0 quattro

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I am a computer engineer and very handy mechanically I wanted to replace spark/coils but if wanted to run a head gasket test first if head gasket is bad then no point in spark plugs/coil packs replacement

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

2/23/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

yes this is a live person

1- yes you can use a block tester to check head gasket

2- did you pull oil dipstick and check to see if oil & water mixing , it will look milky color

3- did the car over heat on you ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. Ok I will try block tester. I figured if head gasket is blown, then I will get rid of car.2. I havent checked dipstick because its in a garage, but during the summer, i pulled dipstick and just saw typical oil look, nothing milky.3. As far as over heating.. I had the coolant temp and themostat and fan control module changed about 3 years ago. Mind you the car has been sittig jn garage for 2 years untouched. It would overheat after 15-20 minutes of driving, every time like clock work, but when I accelerate and speed up quickly, the temp gauge returns to normal, but only temporarily. This is when I started keeping the car in the garage. Then about a year later I drove the car about 1/4 mile to another garage and was idling (shaking) very hard. So i dont know if the radiator fan is spinning. Also oil in spark wells tell me that because of valve cover gaskets.

Hey it sound like the head gasket issue , that shaking after 15 minutes is just enough time to get it to that point

the only think it could be is the water pump ,but if the coolant hoses are getting hard as rock ,you can check them by squeezing them and see ?

the thermostat you already changed so that could not be it .

make sure coolant level is okay and the heat is good , that mean no air bubbles and needs bleeding

the oil in the spark wells is the valve cover gasket ,just make sure the oil did not get to plugs ,and now we misfiring ?

any check engine light on ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you're saying it could in fact be head gasket or just water pump? I will check it in a few weeks when i get some time to bring it to operating temperature and squeeze main radiator hose for any changes.Ok so at least one problem is down: the valve cover gasket. Oil is in the wells but i believe also on the spark plugs. Oil is definitely on the ends of the coil pack when removed. And CEL throwing random misfire codes, which I am assuming come from valve cover gaskets leaking oil? Can you confirm that theory? But I have no codes for head gasket, and water pump was changed maybe 30k miles.As for coolant level: the car has been parked for 2 years almost and every time i check the coolant seems to be same level.Can you also confirm what is going on with the overheating issue I mentioned: when I accelerate fast , temp gauge returns to normal. Maybe fans are burned out? Or control module?Its Paul by the way!
Hey Paul1- first I would pull the plugs out, change valve covers gasket ,so no more oil leaking in plugs and coils, make sure no misfirecause if that.
2- if you are build I go pressuer on hose then it is a head gaskette , if the thermostat is opening & closing correctly, I m assuming it is since you replaced 3 years ago , but building pressuer at hose is thermstat or head gaskette .
3- tiger will be be no codes indicating a head gasket is due, if there is amisifire from plugs you should see a p0300, p0301,p0302 etc .
4- the acceleration part where the gauge go back to normal ,that could be a water pump weak and when you go faster it will have enough flow to cool it down.
5- on the fan if they are not coming in it will cause the over heat or coming on and off ineterminetly .
6- you have to many things going on here , the fan, the thermostat, the coolant Level, no air in system and good radiator flowing and water pump is needed for the coolantbsystem so all that needs checking to confirm after that if the head gaskette is blown.
Further testing is needed here for me to tell you is a head gaskette , do the hose squeeze and recheck thermostat or replace again in case it got stuck sitting for w years I would stat there .
Chad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so just to confirm, you are saying first to change valve cover gaskets/spark/coils to stop misfiring P03xx codes?2. If hose has high pressure, then that is indication of head gasket? So if the hose is okay, not too hard, then thats normal? Should I pressurized the system when testing to 15psi? Is there any other way to test for correct pressure of coolant system?3. Also should i run compression test in spark wells? Do you know what the normal pressure I should read from each?4. Yes fan is intermittent. So perhaps the actual big fan in front is finished.5. Also from what youre saying, i must repair these issues before i can even diagnose the head gasket? Can I take a viable shortcut by doing a blocker test and see if the gasses escape into the test bottle?Since I have to change valve cover gaskets, should i do cam tensioner and valves? Or that wouldnt be necessary to go so far?It would cost quite a bit if I repair valve cover gaskets/spark plugs/coil packs/radiator fan, cost wise. If i repair all of these issues then find out its a blown head gasketc I would lose 700+ dollars just to find out the car is finished, and really cannot afford to do that. Please advice. No need to reply tonight I know its late, anytime later is fine.Thanks,
Paul

Hey Paul ,how are you

just signed in online and saw you reply,sorry for the delay

1- yes correct

2- if you have a coolant tester , yes pressure the system at 15 psi or what ever the coolant cap says and check for leaks,

3- squeezing the hose after the thermostat open up & if the hose is still hard & temp gauge climbing , that is headgakett building pressuer ,

4- do run compression, these are your specs :

New .......................................................... 10.0 - 14.0 bar Wear limit ............................................................ 9.0 bar Difference between cylinders ..................................... max. 3.0 bar

THAT WILL BE BETWEEN 10 bar = 145 PSI & 14 BAR = 203 PSI

5- BLOCK TESTER SHORT CUT IS A GOOD IDEA

6- I AGREE ON CHECKING THE HEAD GASKET TROUBLESHOOT FIRST BEFORE SPENDING MONEY ON TUNE UP

Hope that helps Paul

Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ill check head gasket issue first.1. If i squeeze the hose after the thermostat opens up, the temperature should remain the same. But what if the temperature gauge rises because of the fans?2. Assuming the fans isnt the issue, how do ai know when thermostat opens up? When the car is at normal operating temperature?3. For the block tester: Can you tell me step by step instructions on how to use it? I am a little familiar but want to make sure I get it right. I've never used it before it.4. If the big radiator fan isnt spinning can I re-wire it and temporarily hardwire it the battery? If thats possible and that gets the fans to turn on, then I presume the fans actually work. Is that correct assumption?5. If the fans indeed start working after i connect it directly to battery, what could be causing the fan to die when its connected normally?6. For the fan connection to battery: can you please walk me through step by step how to connect it to battery?7. Now that you have the bigger picture for the most part, about what is going on with my car, what do you think about this: i have never had a problem turning over the car. Even now, if i go to my garage and turn it on (after recharging battery of course), it turns over smooth. Theres no weird noises or no hesistation in starting the engine. Will this happen under circumstances where the head gasket is actually blown? Or is this a good sign that my car still turns over like it did when I bought it? Does that tell you anything else about the issues I'm having?

1- IF YOU PUT YOUR HAND ON HOSE WHEN IT FIRST START THE HOSE WILL HAVE PRESSURE BUT WHEN THERMOSTAT OPENS IT SHOULD NOT ,THAT IS ONE WAY,NOW GRANTED FAN ARE RUNNING , YOU CAN TAKE THERMOSTAT OUT AND INSERTED IN POT FILLED WITH COLD WATER AND HEAT UP ON STOVE ,YOU SHOULD SEE THE THERMOSTAT OPENS UP AROUND 190 DEGREES OR 200

YES YOU CAN DO THE FAN THING , BUT WILL DRAIN BATTERY DOWN IF NO ON OFF SWITCH INSTALLED AND THE FAN WILL EVENTUALLY BURN UP FOR EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME SINCE IT IS SUPPOSED TO CYCLE ,DON'T DO THE FAN DEAL ,YOU WILL HAVE MORE PROBLEMS

YES THE CAR CAN TURN OVER & FUNCTION PROPERLY AND WILL ONLY ACT UP WHEN THE PRESSURE RISES IN THE COOLANT SYSTEM SINCE AIR IS BEING PUMPED FROM ENGINE INTO COOLING SYSTEM , SO IT WILL BE A GRADUAL RISE

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll check the thermostat. I'll have to clean the intake manifold so might as well haha!I can put a switch between battery and fan, just for testing purposes. But can i do an ohm test or test for continuity on the fan without even direct connecting to battery? Can you show me how to do that?Also can you show me how to use the block tester? Step by step please?If the fans are ruled out, what can cause the fan to not work? That means if fans themselves are functioning, then I have another issue as wel. Please see my previous email.I see that you changed your title to Audi mechanic from certified technician. Are you familiar with Audi's at all? I'm a little skeptical now all of a sudden you change you title.

I dont know what you see on the screen ,I have a different screen , I m an ase certified tech with 5 licenses ,i have shop in SC, I work on VW,AUDI ,BMW ,Mercedes mostly

so i dont know what you see on the screen, I dont work for the website , i m an independent verified ASE expert been doing for 20 years

but with that said , if you are not comfortable with me let me know and i be happy to opt out of your question and open it for other experts

Just let me know,I be happy to do that for you

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats okay, i dont know to ask anyone else. Im comfortable speaking with you.So can you answer my previous email please :)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont want** to ask anyone else. Lets continue!

1- the fans are controlled by Radiator fan control module located at top of the fan assembly bolted to frame, these are around $150 200 new and are common issue if the fan are going on off intermittently and are usual a cause of a battery drain

click on link to view location

Check out this link for block tester usage

http://www.blocktester.com/instructions.htm

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i'll check the link for block test.Ok its possible that something may have shorted out my radiator control fan module because i had that changed about 20k miles ago. And being that I am in IT and engineering, I dont think the actual fan just gave out, unless intermentebt on and off over worked it. Do you think that makes sense? Do you think the fan control module could have also shorted the radiator fans?Can I test the radiator fan and control module with a multimeter? If so, can you show me how? I have a mastech multimeter which works great, just not sure how to apply it to these parts. Thanks!

Yes off course

I have replaced these modules few times on same car

the radiator fan can be tested by simply unplugging it and giving straight power to it , now you want be able to duplicate the speed of what it needs to be with out that module

you can follow the wiring circuit and see what you are missing

click on link to view fan control circuit

Coolant Fan (FC) Control Module J293 The coolant/condenser fan for this vehicle is controlled by the Coolant Fan (FC) Control Module J293 and does not use relays.

This control module switches the A/C clutch and thus the compressor on and off. It switches the coolant fans and calculates the pressure in the refrigerant circuit on vehicles with High Pressure Sensor G65 and Heating, air conditioning or Air conditioning.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This manufacturer uses "Track" style wiring diagrams. For information on how to use these diagrams effectively, please refer to Diagram Information and Instructions. See: Vehicle > Diagram Information and Instructions Radiator fan control

Zoom and Print Options

ws = white
sw = black
ro = red
br = brown
gn = green
bl = blue
gr = grey
li = lilac
ge = yellow
or = orange
rs = pink

A - Battery

J... - ECM Relay (see applicable engine wiring diagram)

J220 - Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM)

J293 - Coolant FC (Fan Control) Control Module

S4 - Fuse in fuse holder/relay panel

S42 - Coolant Fan Fuse

S88 - Fuse Strip

T10d - 10-Pin Connector, grey, connector station A-pillar, left

T17d - 17-Pin Connector, red, connector station E-box, plenum chamber

T17e - 17-Pin Connector, white, connector station E-box, plenum chamber

(11) - Ground connection, in battery box See: Grounding Point > Grounds > Component Locations Overview in engine Compartment

(26) - Ground connection, on front apron See: Grounding Point > Grounds > Component Locations Overview in engine Compartment

(500) - Threaded connection -1- (30), on the relay plate

(D50) - Plus connection (30), in engine compartment wiring harness

(D173) - Connection (87), in wiring harness engine pre-wiring

* - 1.8 l Motronic

** - 3.0 l Motronic

*** - Not for all versions

**** - Fuse with 60 A for Radiator fan control 600 W (hot climates, automatic transmission or Trailer socket only)

# - from 2003 m. y.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

These are the ground point oin your car , i would check those for loose or corrosion

Ground Connections Component locations overview in engine compartment

Zoom and Print Options

(11) - Ground Connection (in battery box)
◊=> Fig. page => [ Engine compartment ] See: Grounding Point > Grounds > Component Locations Overview in Luggage Compartment - Avant

(12) - Ground Connection (in engine compartment, left)
◊=> Fig. page => [ ] See: Grounding Point > Grounds > Component Locations Overview in Luggage Compartment - Avant

(18) - Ground Connection (on engine block)

(19) - Ground Connection (near ignition Coil)

(26) - Ground Connection (on front apron)

(624) - Ground Connection (near starter battery)

I would use a test light and follow the circuit will be a lot easier

You can buy a test light local parts store around $10

they make A Power probe If you can get your hands on one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Probe-3-Voltmeter-Test-Light-Continuity-Relay-Electrical-Circuit-Tester-/281909294752?hash=item41a31a76a0:m:mgkIxxqpFwPcvd19KZk9PsQ&item=281909294752&var=&vxp=mtr

Please Dont Forget To Rate me Before You Exit since that is how we get compensated for our time :)

,I have to sign off for about 2 hours , have to run and get some to eat .

You made me hungry man .lol

just joking with you

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem. Enjoy! Haha. Listen, I clicked on the links from alldata.com but it redirected me to their main site and want me to pay. I cannot pay again. Can you send me a pdf or direct links to the website where that data is, or save it as pdf and email to me?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok iI checked the link you sent me for the block tester. And again the links for all data are all dead links, like they redirect.So the block tester is taken care of.How can i test functionality of radiator control fan module? Can I use an multimeter (Current/voltage/resistance) to see if it functioning?What is the speed that the radiator fan spins? How much voltage do I need to bring it to that speed? And how to i do that, exactly? Should i connct the radiator fan to a big battery 12v car battery. How can i calculate the speed of the fan? Thanks!

The all data is my program i pay monthly online JA has nothing to do with it

those link you can not click on for you ti see the alldata system want let me do that , but this a copy pasted from my system that is the only i can show you , the system cost $300 a month per computer and is specific for that computer ,so i can not ket you log in even if i wanted to, you have ti have my laptop

the speed of the fan going to vary from 5 volts to 12 volts highest setting ,

this the block tester link that should work ,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. Is there somewhere else I can find the schematics? I just need to test the fans and fan control module before I do the gasket blocker test. When I test the fan, should both left and right fans be working (spinning)?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also how can i save this conversation so I can print it for later reference?

That is all i have on it

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

This post will stay open for you for you to come back and see it again ,it will not be erased

Please keep in mind that when you Rate me , it does not end our conversation.

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I have questions down the road, in maybe a couple of months, can I come back and ask you follow up questions? I rated you by the way. You've been a tremendous help.

I believe the post stays open indefinitely especial if you are a Member ,just go to your account history and you will find the question and click on it should open up the conversation again

Thank You For The Rating :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just one more thing. I am a little confused, maybe I missed it in your answer, but how can I test the fan control module? And where would it be located so i can disassemble it?

Look right on top of the fan radiator assembly ,like at the top radiator frame right in front ,kind where the hood latch is below it

this is the picture again

I already sent you the circuit diagram for the fan module scroll back you will find it , i signed off on my laptop and using my iphone ,so i can not pull that up for you now again

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat