AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

I have a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T and the car runs great I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T and the car runs great I do not have any codes but I'm noticing I'm not having as much power or boost with the turbo is there anyway to figure out if my turbo is on its way out? I used to hear the turbo kick in don't hear it anymore could there be anything causing this? I don't have any vacuum leaks whatsoever please help thank you
Category: Audi
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok

give few minutes ,so i can upload some diagrams for you to view to what to check

is there any white smoke coming out of tail pipe and blows worse when you get on it ,have you noticed ?

are you losing any oil ?

Hey how are you

1- all these items needs checked first if no smoke or oil leaking from turbo

2- Please click on the blue link to view diagram of the components

1 Vacuum hose ◊To Recirculating valve for turbocharger (N249) 2 Mechanical recirculating valve ◊Checking, refer to => [ Mechanical Recirculating Valve, Checking ] 3 Hose ◊To the recirculating valve 4 Air guide hose ◊To connection on turbocharger 5 Hose ◊To Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) 6 Pipe ◊To crankcase ventilation 7 10 Nm 8 Hose ◊To crankcase ventilation pipe 9 Pressure regulator valve ◊For crankcase ventilation 10 Hose ◊To turbocharger 11 Hose ◊To vacuum diaphragm for boost pressure regulator valve 12 Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve (N75) 13 Angle piece 14 Hose ◊To turbocharger

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Turbocharger Component Overview Part 1

Zoom and Print Options

1 30 Nm

◊Use original bolts only, refer to

2 Gasket

◊Replace

3 Catalytic converter

◊With front exhaust pipe, removing and installing, refer to => [ Catalytic Converter with Front Exhaust Pipe ] .

4 30 Nm

◊Replace

5 Threaded support - 30 Nm

6 Threaded support - 35 Nm

7 Oil supply line

◊Tighten union nut to 23 Nm

◊From oil filter bracket => [ (Item 24) Oil Filter Bracket ]

8 3.5 Nm

9 Heat shield

10 23 Nm

11 Exhaust Manifold

◊Removing and installing, refer to => [ Exhaust Manifold ]

12 35 Nm

◊Replace

◊Coat the thread and head contact surfaces with hot bolt paste.

13 10 Nm

14 Banjo fitting - 30 Nm

15 Gasket

◊Replace

◊Note installation position

16 Coolant return line

◊Tighten union nut to 30 Nm

17 30 Nm

◊Replace

18 Gasket

◊Replace

◊Note installation position

19 Banjo fitting - 35 Nm

20 Coolant supply line

21 Banjo fitting - 35 Nm

◊Insert using locking compound, locking compound.

22 10 Nm

23 Gasket

◊Replace

24 Oil return line

◊To oil pan

25 Gasket

◊Replace

26 10 Nm

27 10 Nm

28 Turbocharger

◊Checking, refer to => [ Turbocharger and Boost Pressure Regulator Valve, Checking ]

29 25 Nm

30 Bracket

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

If nothing visible to you I suggest a smoke test on it to help you identify any vacuum leaks

was it scanned with an audi scanner or universal one ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it was scanned and I have no codes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No smoke leaking
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No loss of oil

Hey good morning

if no loss of oil , no smoke , we have turbo control issue , vacum line ,solenoids etc ..

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can u give me some more information what you mean by turbo control issue vacuum line solenoid etc.I put my scanner on it and it showing boost 1560 does that make any sense but it does not sound like it's kicking in or feel like it I definitely do not have any vacuum leaks

#10,11 & 12 on the vacuum lines diagram i sent you , check for vacuum on #12 waste gate regulator valve

9 Pressure regulator valve ◊For crankcase ventilation 10 Hose ◊To turbocharger 11 Hose ◊To vacuum diaphragm for boost pressure regulator valve 12 Waste gate Bypass Regulator Valve (N75) 13 Angle piece 14 Hose ◊To turbocharger

what kind of scanner you have ?, is audi capable or code reader etc..

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I HAVE AUDI CAPABLE AUTEL MS906

I will opt out of your question and open it for other experts to assist you more on it .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
YOU JUST ASKED ME IF IT WAS AUDI CAPABLE AND I SAID YES AND ITS AN AUTE, BUT THATS OK MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE CAN HELP ME THANKS
Expert:  kyle swart replied 8 months ago.

good morning. my name is ***** ***** i would like to ask you a few questions concerning this issue. have you checked actual boost pressure being produced? if so, how much? i was also doing some research on your scan tool, your code doesnt seem to concur with your issue, is it a p code? i looked up p1560, its a over rev code ( cars that are chipped throw this code, does this vehicle have aftermarket performance tuning?) and i looked up 1560 as the vag code, was not related to boost. your scan tool appears very capable, have you checked the actual and specified boost pressures under load? ( i forget which value blocks they are, you will have to scroll thru them). and, what is the mileage on this vehicle? thanks.

i would also like to add something, make sure you check the recirc/pop off/ valve and check to see if it holds vacuum. that part is the one you hear blow boost pressure off right as you let off the throttle under a load. thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't hear any sound when I let off throttle do u have a diagram of location?

if you look in the diagram that chad provided, its the valve in the center bottom of the image. if you look under the hood of your car, it will be straight down on the passenger side, about half way down, close to the radiator, just in front of the turbocharger.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok

feel free to let me know your findings, thank you.