Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Bought the car, was told needed catalytic converter to pass

Customer Question

bought the car, was told needed catalytic converter to pass inspection. replaced , it passed inspection, drove it 196 mile check engine light came on. Auto zone trouble shoot code P0441- EVAP incorrect purge flow explanation blocked vapor canister probable cause, 1-FAULTY VENT SOLENOID 2- FAULTY PUTGE CONTROL SOLENOID, 3-FAULTY FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR. Took it back to shop they said maybe it did not reset right after they cleared it after installing catalytic converter. they cancel the check engine light. drove it 322 mile was sitting in traffic it died would not start. had it towed home and then it started
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: steady on when it died in traffic ECP light showed, first time to see that
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: 2001 A4 Quatro
JA: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: would if i knew where the things were, no manual to go by. If it was not real expensive would take to audi to fix
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: would it be easy to replace the parts, I mean do you think a female can do it this with a male supervising as husband is disabled
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
would any of this EVAP stuff keep it from starting. Tried starting it off and on for 2 hours while waiting on tow truck. the tow guys even tried. Then it started after it was unloaded off tow truck. the tow was about 45 minutes long
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your question and ready to answer. No the Evap or any evap codes will not make the vehicle not start as it is a separate system , the only thing you may experience is a rough idle under some conditions,Check the rubber vacuum hose to the purge valve fo leaks. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
maybe I worded my questions wrong as you did not even touch on all the other issues like what is ecp light, where are all these things located, what are the other codes , are they easily replaced

Ok that code P0441 is for incorrect purge, and yes those are correct possibilities to it's cause and this is why you need to have a shop scanner run an active test on it to check all aspects of that system to isolate the problem. Also with that scanner you will be able to activate each vsv to actually see the area at fault.

Is there any thing else you need explained? Or can I further help you.