AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Where is the coolant bleeder valve located on a 1999 Audi A6

Customer Question

Where is the coolant bleeder valve located on a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

You have to pull the hose back to expose the BLEEDR HOLE

IF you are changing coolant on it please read below and click on the blue link to view The BLEEDER ON diagram that goes with the procedure

1999 Audi A6 Quattro Sedan (4B2) V6-2.8L (AHA)

Save Article

Draining - Open sealing cap on coolant expansion tank. WARNING: The cooling system is pressurized when the engine is warm. When opening the expansion tank, wear gloves and other appropriate protection, cover the cap with a cloth and open carefully to relieve system pressure slowly.

Zoom and Print Options

- Remove noise insulation panel (arrows).
- Place VW1306 receptacle or drain pan under engine.

Zoom and Print Options

- Remove lower coolant hose retaining clip (arrow) and remove coolant hose from radiator.

Zoom and Print Options

- Open engine coolant drain screw on engine (arrow) using 3247 hex ball socket.

CAUTION: Observe disposal regulations for coolant!

Filling

Note:
- "G12" and coolant additives marked "In accordance with TL VW774 D" prevent frost and corrosion damage, scaling and also raises the boiling point of the coolant. For this reason the system must be filled year round with "G12" and water in the correct proportions for frost and corrosion protection.
- In tropical climates, the higher boiling point of the coolant improves engine reliability when heavily loaded.
- The cooling system must be protected against frost to about -25°C (-13°F) or in arctic climates to about -35°C (-31°F).
- The concentration of "G12" must not be diluted by adding water even in warmer seasons and in warmer climates. The anti-freeze to water ratio must be at least 40%.
- If greater frost protection is required, the amount of "G12" can be increased, but only up to 60% (frost protection to about -40°C or -40°F), otherwise frost protection and cooling effectiveness are both reduced.
- If the radiator, heater core, cylinder head or cylinder head gasket is replaced, do not reuse old coolant.

CAUTION:
- Part numbers are listed here for reference only. Always check with your Parts department for the latest information.
- Only use coolant "G12" in accordance with TL VW774 D. Identification: colored red.
- NEVER mix "G12" with other coolants!
- If the fluid in the expansion tank is brown, "G12" has been mixed with another coolant and the coolant must be changed.

Zoom and Print Options

Recommended mixture ratios
- Replace coolant drain plug O-ring and install coolant drain plug into engine.
Tightening torque: 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.).
- Install lower coolant hose and secure.

Zoom and Print Options

- Screw VAG1274/9 adapter onto expansion tank and insert VAG1274/10 extension into adapter.
- Loosen bleeder screw on rear coolant pipe, item -4-.

Zoom and Print Options

- Loosen coolant hose on heater core and pull back hose until bleeder hole (arrow) is no longer sealed by connection.
- Top off coolant until it flows out from bleeder hole in coolant hose and at bleeder screws on coolant pipes.
- Push coolant hose on connection and tighten.
- Close bleeder screws tight on coolant pipes.
Tightening torque: 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.).
- Install expansion tank sealing cap.
- Set heater controls to maximum heat position.
- Start engine and maintain an engine speed of approximately 2000 RPM for approximately 3 minutes.
- Then let engine run at idle speed until lower hose on radiator becomes hot.
- Check coolant level and top-off if necessary.

WARNING: The cooling system is pressurized when the engine is warm. When opening the expansion tank, wear gloves and other appropriate protection, cover the cap with a cloth and open carefully to relieve system pressure slowly.

- When engine is at normal operating temperature, coolant level must be on MAX mark. When engine is cold, coolant level must be between MIN and MAX marks.

Please let me know if that works for you or you need additional assistance

Thank You

Chad Farhat