Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

I have an 06 Audi A4 which today started running really

Customer Question

I have an 06 Audi A4 which today started running really rough, I got the code for number 3 cylinder misfire, swapped out #2 and #3 coil pack and issue followed to number two cylinder. Replaced coil pack but no joy and now I get the 0300 random misfire code.
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** i will assist you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please text me
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Was the replacement coil new?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
about 15000 miles ago I replaced the valve cover gasket and plugs, at that time I did one coil pack, I just pulled all plugs and packs, cleaned them and reinstalled them, 0300 remains as well as a 0304 as well
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

I will advise you to replace all plugs, and the remaining coils. When one coil goes that is a sign that the rest are on their way. That's why techs suggest changing all. Short of that, you should make sure that the coil didn't leave any debris in the cylinder that would prevent connection and spark. Make sure all the plugs have the proper gap. Also, make sure the connectors are receiving the proper voltage.

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Verifying the timing is something that I do just to eliminate that cause..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just moved around the coils, switching positions and now I get a code for each cylinder misfiring as well as the multiple cylinder misfire code and (this one is new) P0171. Stumped!
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Have you check to see if you have an intake hose leak?

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Or a vacuum leak?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How would I go about doing that?
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Do you hear any hissing or sucking?

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

You will need a pressure tester and a vacuum tester. These require the specific pumps.(vacuum pump or compressor)

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

These two issue will cause each of those codes to set. Check around the brake booster hose most commonly disturbed. Especially with recent work done.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No hissing or sucking noises, car revs up fine but idles super rough. I do not have these testers
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
With the addition of the 0171, do you no longer think it is in the coil/plugs?
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Yes. I think your vehicle is having a breathing issue. That is a great possibility. I would have your local shop perform pressure and vacuum test.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is the car safe to drive?
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Safe for you, yes, but not the vehicle. With the vehicle running rough, it may cause other issues. I wouldn't advise it.

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

If you're going straight to a local shop, it may be okay.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This just keeps getting stranger - I just went to the vehicle, closed the hood and started the car to move it, it started and idle just fine, moved the car out of the driveway and back in with no issues????? Haunted perhaps??
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Your issue is definitely frustrating. I still advise getting the pressures checked.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did notice a small amount of oil on one of the plugs as well
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

That is a sign. Lets hope its coming from the top.(plug stem seals). Have you been emitting smoke from that tail pipe?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not that I have noticed, while the car was running a bit ago, I did walk to the rear of the vehicle but did not see anything
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Ok. Just checking. The the next step is the pressure and vacuum test.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, will get that done tomorrow and check back with you
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

No problem. I hope it all works out for you. If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated... Thank you..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would it be possible for me to buy a vacuum tester and find the leak?
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

As long as you have a vacuum pump also, You should be able to perform the task.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where could I get one of these testers and how would I perform the test
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Harbor freight. And the test is difficult to explain. It would be best to check for a video of the procedure so that you will have a better understanding.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I understand the basics of doing a vacuum test but will it show where the leak is as far as which hose?
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Yes. It will make it very audible..

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

I sometimes spray soapy water to help locate the leak easier.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would need the tester with the pump so I wont have to have the engine running correct
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Not for the vacuum test.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would the car need to be running for the vacuum test
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Not if you have a pump.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would it matter which hose I attached the tester to or would it run through all of them simultaneously
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

it shouldn't, but I would attach it to the main hose running for the booster to the intake..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where is that hose located?
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 months ago.

Disconnect the hose from the brake booster and use that. The brake booster is located behind the master cylinder(the place where you put in brake fluid.