Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

The flaps directly underneath the pollen filter seem jammed.

Customer Question
With the engine running there...
The flaps directly underneath the pollen filter seem jammed. With the engine running there is an intermittent nocking noise which I think is something trying to change the position of the flaps but is unable to do it. It is particularly noisy when you operate the front washers or the the air recyling button on the climate control. i feel a vibration in each flap at the same time as the nocking noise. The car is an Audi A4 avant 2007.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 125000 miles. I have had the car from new with no serious issues.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Audi A4 avant 2007
JA: Are you fixing your A4 Avant yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Things like this I always try to fix myself. I have tried lubrication at the side of the flap also manually moving the flap to try and free it up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
11/4/2016
Audi Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 1 year ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

Remove the flap operating motor, and then see if the flap moves freely. it's common (well, relatively common) for the motors to fail, not know where their end stops are, and sit there "ticking" at the end of their travel. You most likely need a new motor, unless the flap is physically broken (like, the pivot that the arm mounts to is broken off)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do i have to remove the glove box to get at the motor or is it accesible from the top?

It should be on the outer side of the airbox, so you should be able to access it from underneath by removing the closeout panel, and using a flashlight to see where you are going- but if that isn't enough clearance you may need to remove the glovebox

gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician