Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

My key is stuck in the ignition and won't come out (a3

Customer Question

My key is stuck in the ignition and won't come out (a3 sportback)
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Can turn the wheel, key wasn't visibly damaged
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: A3 sportback 2006
JA: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have tried to wriggle the key out etc, but nothing major Battery is now going flat, so have disconnected and reconnected this, no difference
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much will the cost be?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Ok
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

A weak battery will cause this problem. Try jump starting or charging the battery.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi there. Definitely wasn't only charged a $5 deposit fee already
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The battery wasn't flat initially but is now going flat as a result of the ignition being in the on position
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Sounds like a key lock solenoid problem. I can send you the replacement steps from the service manual if you would like.