Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro air conditioner problem New AC

Customer Question
2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro...
2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro air conditioner problemNew AC compressor installed a month ago. The air coming out of the vents is VERY cold (35 deg). Normally, I can run the fan at any speed I want without issue.Problem: when it is hot outside (>95 deg) the AC will go into Econ mode after 5-10 minutes of use when the blower is higher than about 4 (12 is max). The blower will run, but the compressor turns off.If I turn the AC back on, it will be cool for 5-10 minutes then off again unless I turn the blower down.I see threads about a resistor, but they talk about the blower turning off, not the compressor.Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
8/31/2016
Audi Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. This sounds exactly like a thermal switch protection for the compressor. If it starts to overheat it will shutoff under high demand

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it sounds like a bad thermal switch, or an unusual high demand? Can I isolate, or do I need to bring to my mechanic for pressure testing during failure?

Im not sure its failing. I think its protecting itself from being overheated. That being said, the compressor maybe on its way out.

I will opt out and let another tech jump in and see if they might have another thought about this issue.

Audi Mechanic: Wolfgang, Audi master tech replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

A scan test is needed on the climate control module to see why the compressor shut off. there are 22 parameters where the control module will shut it off from preventing damage to the system.

right now you have verified the shut offf but why and too many possibilities. where a scan test will narrow down the area to test and diagnose!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do! I own VAG/VAS and will get you all the codes. I was just hoping to isolate based on the symptoms:VERY cold air
Blower works on all settings when it is less than 95 deg outside
Blower works but compressor stops after several minutes (not immediately) when temperature is above 95 deg outside
AC works regardless of temperature if blower is kept on lowest settings.I will provide codes in the morning.Thanks,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was looking for a few remaining potential problems, as I would assume that many of the possible problems could be eliminated based on symptoms:For example: VERY cold air (35deg) would eliminate low coolant level. Blower remains running would eliminate bad resistor. Brand new OEM compressor would eliminate faulty clutch. Etc...Additionally, there was one time when the temp was about 98 deg and the AC kept cutting off, then I hit a rain storm and the air was IMMEDIATELY ice cold again.I will provide codes in the morning.Thanks,

too many possibilities at this time . scan and let me know!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is one fault in the Auto HVAC section01847 - Air outlet sensor; middle left (G347)
010 - Open or short to plus - intermittent

ok great !!! i do need a vin # please to pull up factory repair information

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is the VINWaudg74f15n054807Thanks!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any luck with the VIN I gave a couple days ago?

i'm in the hospital and should be discharged tomorrow if all goes well. I had a bad car accident . i'm sorry for the delay . you are not the only one about this delay i will try to get back tomorrow when i get home .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hope you are well soon. My issue is not time critical, and your health is more important. When you return, I look forward to your analysis, but there is no rush.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hope all is well and you are out of the hospital. Any update on the problem?Thanks,
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech