Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

How do I go about using you to heelp with my problem? Thanks

Customer Question
Hi - How do I...
Hi - How do I go about using you to heelp with my problem? Thanks :-)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi - Ok, sorry about that, I didn't know how to ask questions :-(
I have a: 2001 - A6 Allroad 2.5 V6 TDi C5 Engine: AKE Gearbox: FTH Final Drive: ENX
Some time (1 year?) ago my alternator died and I replaced it. From that time on I have had the current problem:
After 10 minutes the ABS / ESP / Air Suspension warning lights come on after almost EXACTLY 10 mins.
I have a full subsciption to the Ross Tech VCDS and the fault shown is:01117 - Generator Terminal DF Load Signal: Implausible Signal
Possible SymptomsMalfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Engine Pre-Heating inoperativePossible CausesWiring from/to Generator faulty
Voltage Regulator faulty
Generator faultyPossible SolutionsCheck Wiring from/to Generator
Check Voltage Regulator
Check GeneratorThings I've done:
1. Replaced the alternator (again) with brand new exact match unit
2. Renewed the 2-pin connector which connects the alternator to the ECU
3. Cleaned EVERY earth connection I can possibly find.
4. Ran a continuity test from the 2-pin alternator connector to the ECU plug (pin 38 on the larger plug) – 0.4 Ohms
5. The battery is showing 14v across the terminals and VCDS shows system voltages of ~ 13.5v
What is interesting is that this fault appears after 10 minutes even if the car is never started. i.e. Key in ignition, display lights on, 10 minutes pass – Error shows.
Where do I go from here please?
8/30/2016
Audi Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. The first thing I noticed was the 14v while engine is running. a good reading should be 14.4. its a little bit under that and Im not sure that would cause the problem but its one thing that need to be looked at. another thing you can do is load test the battery and check the main battery ground where it attaches to the block.

are there any other codes coming up? what are all the codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi David,
Thanks for starting to help me. I have re-checked the voltage and with the engine running at tick over my Fluke reads 14.2v.
There are 2 other codes which come up: 1 for the ABS and (sometimes) 1 for the air suspension system but I think they come up as a result of the Alternator fault rather than as "true" faults in their own right.
Anyway, the faults are:
ABS: 18265 - Load Signal - P1857 - 35 - 10 Error message from ECU - Intermittent
Level Control: 01316 - ABS Control Module - 79 - 10 - Please Check Fault Codes - Intermittent
Thanks,
Des

ok, allow me a few moments to look this information up for your vehicle. thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ;-)

Replace the MAF sensor. this seems to be an issue with a lot of these vehicles. also disassemble the intake plumbing and smoke check the wastegates and pressure hoses. These hoses are a solid steel tubing running between the exhaust mainifold and turbo with crimps on either end for built in non replaceable high temp silicone rubber hoses. check the right hose for a rupture at the crimp on the wastegate end.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a spare MAF here so I will try it.
If it is the piping, how (physically) would that create the error?

let me know if the maf works.

if theres a leak, it would be past the maf, creating incorrect air metering.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, the MAF I have is for a different A6, so I'm going to use VCDS to do a MAF check ...

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi - Ok, so I think I encountered the snowball effect :-(
"All" I wanted to do was run a MAF test but when I came to drive the car out the air suspension pump wouldn’t run ( I have been working on that too). After lots of diagnostics it's clear that the pump is only just about getting 12v, so stripping down the relay panel under the steering wheel, I found that the relay (J403) is (or has been) overheating and now the contacts are knackered. This is probably because the rear left suspension air bag has developed a leak in the last few weeks ...
SO, tomorrow I’m off to collect a new air bag and now a new relay … Once that lot’s fitted I’ll be able to get back to the MAF question.
Sorry to mess you around,
Des

sounds like a plan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have now installed the new suspension bag and fixed the compressor issue!
I did a MAF test yesterday and the results are attached.
I guess you're going to say - New MAF?
Thanks,
Des
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hmmm, the file won't attach ... It's a PDF - Is that normally an accepted file type?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I've uploaded them to our website - The URLs are:
www.auhof.co.uk/downloads/LOG-01-003 - Run 1.pdf
www.auhof.co.uk/downloads/LOG-01-003 - Run 2.pdf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OFFS!!!!! The system has messed up the URLS, so here's some new ones:
http://www.auhof.co.uk/downloads/LOG-01-003-Run_1.pdf
http://www.auhof.co.uk/downloads/LOG-01-003-Run_2.pdf

give me a few to look at these .thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, so I have now replaced the MAF with a brand new, Genuine Audi part, checked all the charge air piping, re-run the MAF tests and the results are almost identical :-(
The fault remains that after 10 minutes the 3 lights come on and the suspension drops to level 2.
NOTE: This happens whether the engine is running or not!
As a further test I have cut the blue / black wire that runs from the alternator to the ECU and turned the ignition key to the on position (so all electrics engaged but engine NOT running) and no errors showed until the magic 10 minute mark.
Given all this please can you tell me what's going on and how to fix it?
My son is off for a week in this car from tomorrow, so time is now of the essence.
Thanks,
Des

ok, lots of info here. sorry i didnt get back to you yesterday but it was a crazy day at my shop............

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, well I'm here and ready to try things ...

Im Sorry but going to have to opt out and let another tech help you out here. Im not sure which way to go from here. good luck to you. please dont reply back as it will send this right back to me instead of a new tech. thanks

Audi Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

Hi I'm Kevin a different tech this fault is caused by a wiring issue on the wire between alternatot and Ecu . Can I confirm you have tested all wires from multi plug

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, I have tested the blue/black wire to socket 38 on the ecu plug. All good. Did you see that this fault also happens when the engine is not running? Which other wires should I test? Oh, and thanks for your answer :-)

Ok so what was resistance on this wire and has alternator been replaced

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The resistance was 0.4 Ohms and yes, as per the thread above this is the second brand new alternator that has been fitted with exactly the same result.PLEASE NOTE: This error occurs even if the engine is NOT running ...Thanks,Des

Ok the ten minutes is the time car takes to check load this is normal ive seen this before can you run a new wire on the wire you have tested at 0.4 ohms just to rule this out

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, sadly my son isv
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, sadly my son is taking the car on holiday until next Friday so I won't be able to do any further test until then.

Ok i await your reply

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Technician