Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

I have an 2004 audi a8 and it just stopped working one day.

Customer Question
it wouldn't start but all...
i have an 2004 audi a8 and it just stopped working one day. it wouldn't start but all the electrical would come on. i was able to reprogram both my keys with the door and it still wouldn't start. i then tried to put my valet key in and everything completely shut down to the point that i wasn't able to reprogram the keys and turn anything on like the windows and radio but somehow the dashboard lights would co
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: im sorry hit enter by mistake. so i had the car towed to my mechanic who works on foreign cars and he couldn't reprogram the keys. nothing came on as if nothing could talk to each other as far as the modules. he barely was able to scan anything. so he told me to send it to the dealer. they told me the other day that they had to do something special to be able to see a little bit with their scanner and what they saw was that i needed to replace the steering column and the access start module. that was 2800 for the parts and 1000 for labor. didn't want to spend that kind of money on that car but would if i could get it fixed for cheaper. so i did some investigating and decided to get a used sterring column and talked to the dealer today and he said that i would also need the matching access start module under the seat for that to possibly work and that still doesn't guarantee anything. he thinks that i would be putting good money after bad at this point with the car. what are your thoughts about possible repair solutions and whether or not it's worth it to repair with this major issue?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i'm having the car towed back to my mechanic and he is willing to put in the steering column and the access module. but this would get me to about 1500 of money into it but just checking to see if replacing the 2 parts with used parts will be a good starting point to see if the key wiill start talking to the car and get it started.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: yes if those parts are installed should my mechanic who i haven't talked to yet today be able to reprogram the new keys without having to send the car back to the dealership for them to reprogram. my other problem is the air in the suspension leaked out and the car is sitting too low to the ground for AAA to feel comfortable moving it. so i hear that the car needs to be started before the air can refill the suspension so i'm in a catch 22 as far as moving the car to various shops. just having a little difficulty finding someone who will tow it without possibly damaging something.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
8/28/2016
Audi Mechanic: Chris (aka - Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to get my question answered. I am available before 430 today n after 9 pm. Actually after 9pm would be better. Thanks.

When they were able to scan it, did they get any codes?

Have you found these used parts?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they did get some codes that indicated that the access start module and the steering column needed to be replaced. i did order a used steering column and was told by the audi mechanic at the dealer on saturday that in order for that steering column to work that i would need to get the access start module that is under the seat from the same car as the column. does that make sense? and if so do you think that it would work with the key that they are sending me with the steering column or would i have to go and get it programmed at the dealer?

You will need that control module under the seat to perform the swap your planning to do. All of these parts matching from one vehicle installed into yours should mean it will start without further programming needed. If any diagrams or system description links from my repair guides would help, let me know.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have you done one of these type of repairs before by using used parts?

No I have not, as a dealer employee we are not allowed to use used parts in about 95% of cases.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hey chris, sorry just getting back to you, a lot of things going on here. Question, I told you what the problem was with my car and just wanted to know what you thought the problem is with the key being stuck in the car. Do I need to get a used steering column and access start module to solve this problem and if so is it also necessary to get the key and ignition from the same used car?

This post has timed out from no rating. I will opt out and see if another can get you the answer your wanting.

Audi Mechanic: Wolfgang, Audi master tech replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Donald . i hate to break the bad news but used steering column and control module will not work. these parts have only a one time programming attempt. once information about the vehicle is burned in it is permanent and cannot be changed.

a new column and an access start module is needed. then the programming can only be done at the dealer due to factory scan tool must link with Germany's server to program all keys and components.

you may also want to trace the water leak under the carpet driver side where the access module is located . moisture has taken it out.

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech