Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 S8 sometimes wont start. Cranks like crazy and needle…

2007 S8 sometimes wont...

2007 S8 sometimes wont start. Cranks like crazy and needle moves to maybe 100 rpm. then later maybe an hour or a day it fires immediately

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Not at all and it's a new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Audi?

It's the S8 with the V10

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic has replaced both fuel pumps, a fuel pressure sensor, the fuel pump controller and the crank sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

8/23/2016
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Chris. Yes I still need help

This crank no start issue does it occur both when the engine is cold and when the engine is at operating temp?

If you apply some or full throttle does that help it start?

Were tests done to confirm the fuel pressure was low and the CKP sensors were in fact bad?

Normally for issues like this someone needs to do the diag when the concern is occurring meaning you try to start it and fails then immediately check the fuel pressure, ignition spark, and injector pulse to see what is working and to see what is not working.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there. The problem only occurs when the car is cold. The biggest problem is it never happens when it's at my mechanic. Applying throttle doesn't help. It may not start ten tries in a row and then an hour later it starts first turn of the key.

Is there an option to just leave the vehicle with your mechanic so they can drive it as there own a few days so they can do the diag when this occurs since I assume you do not work on cars?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Chris. That's what I'm doing this week. The problem is it can go a month or more and not show the problem. Then it may happen twice in a row. And yes they confirmed the fuel pressure was low and the crank sensor was replaced as a precaution.

Diagnosing this concern in your position not being able to do the tests your self at the time of failure makes diagnosing this almost near impossible because its intermittent. Replacing anything at this point without proof its bad would just be a costly guess.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for trying to help. This is just so frustrating. For all I know it could be a loose wire. Would you happen to know on this particular engine if a cam sensor could be to blame?

Yes a cam sensor is a possible failure. The computer uses that signal to know when to pulse the fuel injectors.

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician