Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

I have a 2012 A6 3.0T. Recently the airconditioner quit

Customer Question
blowing cold air. It still...
I have a 2012 A6 3.0T. Recently the airconditioner quit blowing cold air. It still blows hot air, but not cold. I had it checked at a local indy mechanic briefly and he said that the gas/ freon is ok, but the compressor does not seem to be kicking on. He asked to drop the car off for a day so he can diagnose, but I can't afford that anytime soon.Doing some quick search online, it said it could be a relay - but i don't know how to test a relay. Can I pick one up at a local part store to check?More importantly, wondering how the Audi mechanics would diagnose something like this. Where do you start - what do you look for? Is there any step by step to diagnose this?Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Edit: PS where is the AC relay located? I have already located the fuse box in the trunk which has a couple of relays. In addition, I found a relay box underneath the steering column, behind the driver side fuse box. That being said, I don't know which relay belongs to the AC.Would greatly appreciate your help in pinpointing this.Thanks
8/6/2016
Audi Mechanic: Chris (aka - Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still need some help with this!

Your vehicle is not like others. There is not an AC clutch, there is not an AC relay. Your compressor runs all the time and is regulated by a valve and the vehicle electrical systems control module. You can see that in this diagram. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/audiAC.pdf There is alot more to diagnosing this AC system than just checking fuses and relays. A scan tool is needed, do you have one?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Moose,Thank you for your response.I have a OBD scan tool - is that what you mean? I have one thats a bit more programmable - its called CARISTA and works with an android app. What would I be looking for there?Thank you

Most cell phone scan tools are no where near complex enough but we can try. Do you know if you have the base or comfort model HVAC system?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician