Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

My Audi gear shifter broke off I think. I have pictures. I

Customer Question
wonder what it will cost...
My Audi gear shifter broke off I think. I have pictures. I wonder what it will cost at a shop or if I should ask a welder to weld it back on. I have not a lot of money. In addition I am 500 miles from home and need to get my son back in 3 days. On some forums people talked about welding it and I have attached an image of that solution as well. It is the last image.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
8/3/2016
Audi Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

id replace it....what zip code is the car in right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
90026.
What does a replacement cost and how long would it take you think.
The car is not worth that much and I hardly use it.
Would a weld job last 30000 miles?
Where would I go? Does a mechanic do that? I had my car towed to a AAA recommended shop.

m& m imports shows one for 250 bucks....likley 2 hours labor and your done... weld will never hold

2000
Floor Shift Assembly
Audi TT00 STD,CP,2WD SHIFTER ASSY&BOTH CABLE,CLAMP. 250 PU M505 $249.55 M & M Imports - Will Call Only - No Shipping USA-CA(Fontana) Request_Quote (###) ###-####a href="http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/quoteForm.cgi?type=i&sEmail=*****@******.***&email=&part=Floor%20Shift%20Assembly&dbPart=242.1&dbSubPart=&model=Audi%20TT&dbModel=6.15&year=2000&stockNum=M505&price=249.55&desc=00%20STD%2CCP%2C2WD%20SHIFTER%20ASSY%26BOTH%20CABLE%2CCLAMP.%20250%20PU&name=M%20%26%20M%20Imports%20-%20Will%20Call%20Only%20-%20No%20Shipping&url=http://www.MMImports.net&int=-1&broker=0&recycler=0&selleruserid=3599&miles=-1&condition=-1&userid=1000&uIMS=&seqNum=200000000000000000957904956&userClaim=&userLang=&userZip=90026" target="_blank">Request_Insurance_Quote

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wow, that is amazing. So no need to get to it from underneath. I can pick that piece up or have the shop order it. Not sure what is faster or cheaper. Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate how precise and helpful you are. 5*!!!!!

great hope you can rate me 5 star

call them and double check its still in stock and correct...but my look up shows it as correct

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would you say the 2 hours will cost about $200 to $300 plus the part?
Would you buy the item now and then pick it up in the AM?

i would call and talk to the junkyard first thing and verify... probably closer to 300 in labor...

but depending on the labor rate...its usually 2 ta 3 hours depending on rust or corrosion

it appears i have sent that through twice that was not intentional and if you have any further questions regarding this issue PLEASE dont hesitate to ask as i am still at your disposal .

eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy