Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a 2001 audi a4 2.8 quattro and it overheated so i

Customer Question

i have a 2001 audi a4 2.8 quattro and it overheated so i shut it off. i then discovered the head gasket was blown so i replaced both of them which took about a week (the battery was disconnected during this time). i have the timing perfect and getting compression in all cylinders. the car cranks fine and even fires a little but will not start. i have a version of vcds lite but it will not connect to the car properly. the instrument cluster is dead and when i put another one in the car from a different a4 everything works on the "new one". i believe the car won't start because of either the immobilizer, instrument cluster, or the throttle body not being able to adapt because i cannot access it with vagcom.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.

I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Is there any any aftermarket stereo installed?

have you tried the vcds on another vehicle to verify it works?

please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no stock stereo that is in safe mode because of the battery loss and no i have not tried the vcds on a another vehicle. when i connect the non working cluster vcds will not read anything and say too many connection errors when trying to read engine. but when the working cluster is connected vcds will only read instruments and say no response from controller when trying to read engine.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

is the brake and abs light on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i believe so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the keyless remote is not working either
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

disconnect the abs module and then try to rescan

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i go about doing that
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

let me get a pic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a picture of what
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

abs module

see pic . you will see at one end where you can pull and slide the lock forward to disconnect the connector then try to scan the engine ecu.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that allowed me to scan engine but nothing else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i put the original dead cluster back in or does it matter
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok what codes were stored? did you do a throttle adptation? you will need the old cluster in to get it started if the immo part is not damaged.

try !! let me know on the other 2 questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes did the adaptation still just cranks. i found a wire that is stripped and not plugged into anything could you tell me what it goes to i will send a pic now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the one top right grey
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the part you were pointing to is a vacuum hose . did you try hold the gas to the floor and crank see if the cylinders will hit and then run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assure you it's a plug in the first picture I am holding the stripped wire while pointing at the grey plig
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't have the radiator hooked up because i had to take off the front end to do timing work. would that effect the no start. there is no coolant of course i was just trying to get it to start then i was gonna button it up. i know when i did my friends 02 a4 timing belt i had the radiator disconected and it started and ran fine
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

did you have the lock bar and the crank lock when you did the belt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you find what that wire goes to
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

most likely the outside temperature sensor wiring . that will not cause the no start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i scan anything the extra fields where the vin is supposed to be is blank, what does this mean.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

can you send a pic of this . ecu with vcds and instrument cluster with vcds

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
first one is engine and the instrument one was taken with the new cluster if i put the old one in it just says no response from controller
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

i do need a vin # please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to get it off the car it won't read thru vcds
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

got it!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do you want the vin
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

because i need to see if you have an aha or a atq engine. older audi's did not come with immo so need to know by vin!!

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WAUDH68D31A011359
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok you have the later engine . the original cluster what is the part # and compare to the newer one are they the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Numbers ON the clusters match perfect
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok go to engine electronics and then select read measure values and i need values from 80- 88 please

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the module called? I tried cent. Electric and got no response from controller
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

01 engine electronics

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ALL OF THE DATA GOT WIPED OUT. THE VEHICLE NEEDS TO GO TO THE DEALER TO GET THE CLUSTER AND THE ECU REPROGRAMMED.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you sure? there is nothing i can do
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the factory scan tool is needed with a link to germany to reprogram the immobilizer of the ecu and the cluster to make it work again .

got to have the factory scanner linked to germany's server .

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about a new ecu
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the same with the new ecu it has to be programmed at the dealer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be done without the car if I just take the ecu up there
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

no the vehicle must be there at the vw shop

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does my car have immo or not
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

yes it does!!! 100 %

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought you said I had the older engine that didnt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took a compression test and the right side is reading 20 - 50 psi. This is the problemost I believe
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

TIMING IS WRONG . LETS HOPE THAT THERE IS NO VALVE BEND!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just checked timing and it is perfect
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

OK BUT COMPRESSION TEST SHOWINGONLY 20 -50 PSI THAT IS WAY TOO LOW!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand this what could be causing it
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

VALVES NOT SEATING ? BENT VALVES IMPROPER CAM TIMING (CAM TO CAM ON THE CHAIN SIDE)