Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

2005 Audi A4 1.8T goes into safe mode after sitting parked

Customer Question

2005 Audi A4 1.8T goes into safe mode after sitting parked with engine running. Happens after about 10 to 15 minutes. The AC shuts off and the dash light "Safe" lights up...when I attempt to turn the car off and restartnit, it fixes the issues for another 15 min most of the time, but other times the engine will rank but not start after this happens unless I leave the car off for about two minutes.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Another issue that may or may not be relates that started occurring around the same time is the transmission revs higher than it should before shifting (cvt auto transmission )
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes hoping to fix myself if it's not too complicated. My usual mechanic couldn't duplicate the problem, didn't wait long enough or was unaware the problem was occurring while he was diagnosing thensue as described Battery is probably 3 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Myrtle, the computer goes into fail safe mode when it detects a problem and when this happens the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is failing you are going to need to start first with having the computer system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will see if I can help you determine what is causing these problems.