Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Got an 2001 audi a4 1.8T .... doing a turboreplacement ....

Customer Question
need to know what a...
got an 2001 audi a4 1.8T .... doing a turboreplacement .... need to know what a reasonable labor estimate for this job .... not the ridiculous $1500 dealer rate but a reasonable rate or even cheap rate that i cna gage against ..... i've got a guy working out of his house .... he says it will take him no more than 4 to 5 hours ..... he may have his brother and uncle help him part of the time ..... hi first gues was
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: $900 but that's almost $200 per hour.....even that seems way out ..... iwas thinking more like 4 to 500 but have no way to gage that
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: help ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
7/13/2016
Audi Mechanic: Technicaldan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician

Hello, I hope you are well!

My name is***** will see if I can help you with this.

I've looked at the repair time given for a turbocharger replacement on this vehicle, if it was a warranty job then Audi would give 2.2 hours, outside of warranty 3.0 hours is the specified repair time.

I am in the UK, with the average garage labour rate being around the equivalent of $100/hr and much much less if you go to a 'back street' garage.

I wouldn't expect to pay any more than the equivalent of around $250 at a cheap garage, much less to someone on their driveway for what should be a three hour job max 'on the book'.

I will try to find the average us labour rate and will be back shortly.

I've been reading a link about the average labour rate in the US,

http://www.quora.com/Whats-a-reasonable-hourly-labor-rate-for-an-auto-mechanic

It seems the rates are fairly comparable to the UK labour rates, for $250 i'd expect it done in a proper workshop, albeit an independent, based on $75 an hour and allowing an extra hour above the three quoted for 'any little issues'.

Someone working from home on their driveway with the help of their family, i'd personally offer around $125, if I could get away with $100 I would, my logic being $25 an hour for a diy'er and giving an extra one or two hours above the quoted repair time is quite fair, for a diy'er, for which you wouldn't expect to pay top trained technician rates to.

A good technician on a slightly higher rate may well get the job done quicker and more competently, for which you would expect to pay higher than a diy'er.

I know garages that would work for the $25 an hour, with their overheads factored in!

Maybe get a few more quotes.

If there is anything else I can do to help, please do let me know, if this helps you please rate 5 stars ;)

Good luck, I hope you get it all sorted soon.

Technicaldan
Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician