Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Leaking Oil Cooler in 2004 Audi A3 Ambition 2.0 Auto. I

Customer Question
Leaking Oil Cooler in 2004...
Leaking Oil Cooler in 2004 Audi A3 Ambition 2.0 Auto.
I purchased my Audi about a week ago and discovered the Coolant light comes on every few days. I topped up the Coolant / demineralised water each time, only to have it happen again a few days later. I later discovered tyre-sized oil marks on the driveway underneath the car.
After taking it to a mechanic, they have discovered the Oil Cooler to be leaking "like a fountain" when hot after a drive. He informed us it may take 1.5 days worth of labour to fix, plus parts, and even then, this may or may not fix the issue - if other parts have been affected.
I'm in Australia so parts are hard to come by and thus, more dear to purchase.
Can you provide other possibilities of what might be wrong and what parts may require inspecting for damage?
At this stage, the plastic housing, the radiator and the engine have been given the "ok" and don't require replacing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/11/2016
Audi Mechanic: Master Auto Tech., master tech. replied 1 year ago
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So if it's leaking oil there, the most common cause is the o-ring that seals it. I don't remember for sure but I believe it's the same type of o-ring as you would find on your oil filter so you should be able to remove and use a o-ring from a filter to reassemble.If it's coolant leaking from it, and the coolant wasn't changed before then it probably corroded a hole in the cooler. But there's a small chance the hose is leaking on it.But other then those things there's not a lot of other problems.Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.Thanks
Sonny
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Sonny, I have just confirmed that the leaking wasn't oil but coolant. The situation could not have been caused by the o-ring because the car ONLY leaks once it gets hot.Can you please re-advise?
Ok so the prong was only if it was oil. I mentioned it becouse you said you saw oil in the driveway. That was the only reason. Ok so if it's coolant the o-ring has no effect with it.However the coolant if it gushes then I'd look closely at the clamps on the hoses. The pressure builds when it's warm hence the leak. So look closely at the clamps or the hoses where they slide over the fitting. I don't remember if yours are crimped connections or just clamps but if they are compression crimps then the crimp may need to be cut off and the connection checked and just put a hose clamp back on it.The good news is that usually if it was the cooler itself then you would see leaks even when it's cold. Since it's only when it's hot then it's becouse of pressure and the hoses are most likely culprit.Let me know if this helps or if you have more questions.Thanks
Sonny
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The clamps are not leaking - we double checked them.
Ok so there are only 2 possibilities of leaks then.
1) cooler is bad. The only way coolant gets to it is by the hoses. Oil gets into it thru it's connection to the motor.
2) hose connections are corroded. You will need to pull the hoses off to check this. If the metal has corrosion on it clean it. Then feel in the hoses for hard spots.Those are the only 2 possibilities from it.Let me know what u find
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.