AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

No power steering assist at idle on a audi, 02 a6 3.0l with

Customer Question

no power steering assist at idle on a audi, 02 a6 3.0l with new p/s pump and rack
JA: Have you checked the power steering fluid? Will the wheel turn at all?
Customer: flushed system before new rack and pump. bled system, fliud good . it steers but no power assist
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: 2002 audi a6 Quattro 3.0l
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yse. I replaced rack and pinion. I replaced p/s pump. then I got hard steering at idle. installed a second pump, a little better , but hard to steer at idle
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it steers fine at higher rpms. starts out steering fine. after 2-3 mins. of driving, it gets hard to steer at idle
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail

IS THE POWER STEERING GROWLING?

WAS THE P/S ELBOW REPLACED AT THE PUMP?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No and no
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ON THE REPLACEMENT RACK DID IT HAVE A ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR WITH A SOLENOID MOUNTED ON THE STEERING GEAR?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

i do need a vin #

did you get the rack from the dealer? if not what reman company is the gear?