Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Check engie : check engine light 2000 Audi 4.2 came on

Check engie Mechanic's Assistant:...

Check engie

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Audi. The Audi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Check engine light 2000 Audi 4.2 came on steady (not blinking)

Mechanic's Assistant: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?

113,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Traveling and Sunday tomorrow so not sure

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Audi Mechanic should know about your Audi?

Nothing I keep in perfect condition as much as possible I changed oil and filter and drove to this location 212 miles +/- no problem...barked at food place nose slightly down hill light came on after leaving. Took of gas cap and put back on. I can try other gas cap (carry a spar)

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2016
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is Jerry and I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

….

There are many areas in the power train controls that will make the light come on or flash. You will want to have the codes read to see what area the problem is in. Normally Autozone will read the codes for free and even tell you the area of concern, as well as clear the code out of the computer.

.

You will want to be sure that the fuel cap is tight. A loose cap will set an EVAC code in the PCM.

…..

The code(s) can only be cleared with a scan tool. Not only a parts store can clear it but any shop with a scan tool.

.

When we know the code(s) then we will have a better understanding as to what the cause may be.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Thanks

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wont get to a auto Zone until tomorrow and can text the codes from my phone what number do I use?

I am not sure how that would work. It would be best to log back on here and let us know the code number(s), thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took to auto zone it had a P1141 code for the check engine code which he printed out as a Mass Air Flow Sensor. I then drove next door and filled up with gas. I then immediately drove to a Home Depot bought some dielectric grease and put a small bead around the gas cap seal in the lid because dielectric grease is basically silicone grease and wont hurt rubber or plastic. I then started driving and in approx. 7 miles or so the engine check light went out. I know you can get a light like that if the gas cap doesn't seal tight and fuel vapors don't flow back to the tank etc.so maybe that caused the fault code. Car ran well all the way home for 180 miles and no more engine codes showed up.

Good job, thanks and come again, anytime. Let us know if the code does reset on the 1141 code and we can get some tests.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Jerry, Master Mechanic