Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just had service done cam tensioner on 2004 1.8t Audi. Oil…

Just had service done for...
Just had service done for the cam tensioner on 2004 1.8t Audi. Oil leaked out so it needed replacement. So it was replaced by service person. less than 2 weeks later, now have complete coolant failure near the egr valve where work was done - upper rear of engine. It is not the coolant flange, I replaced that last year. this leak is full drain with engine off. It just drains out in a stream. What would be the cause. Engine has about 125K miles.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/23/2016
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. ok with the oil leak you had in the back its is really possible that the oil has seeped to the orings that swelled either the adapter oring to head , the metal tube pipe that goes to the adapter oring, or the coupler for the heater core hoses oring, or the coolant temp sensor oring . oil, heat, rubber and the plastic together will cause failure . you really need to visually see where the leak is coming from to do the correct repair . a pressure tester will help out ind the leak faster!! Anything else?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Using a mirror, leak looks to be near the EGR valve, which looks like it was also replaced with the tensioner. The leask is fast, it draines the coolant tank in about 2 minutes with engine off. Did that work possible make something else fail? I do a lot of work on the car myself, like replace coolant flange, replace turbo, replace wiring harness, but car failed away from home. Had to have service people do it. So I am not sure what happened. Valve cover gasket was replaced, but leak looks like it is from engine casing, or around where work was just done.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When they did work, all new gaskets were used. SO I do not think it is failure in new parts. But the tensioner was a used Audi part bought from dealer.
it if near the combi valve the it looks like the coolant flange/housing . seen it happen where oil leaks on the flange and then seeps into the oring and then the flange breaks where it holds the oring then causing it to leak recommend replace the entire flange , orings for the coolant temp sensor and the flange for both the metal pipe and to the head!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not, I did replace the coolant flange last year. That is a little lower and closer to middle. THis looks like it is right where the tensioner was replaced. Is there another flange that is NOT the coolant flange that could be leaking? Sorry if I am asking dumb questions. But I can see the coolant flange, and that is not leaking.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe the oil leak make the flange weak? I just don't want to pay more money if it should have been replaced when they did the work 10 days ago....Seems like it is was possible to fail, then it should have been done the same time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would a head gasket leak be a flowing leak when coolant is filled? Or is that a slower type of condition?
it is hard to say !! it can be but i cannot see it to verify. the flange is much cheaper than head gasket!! how about the heater hoses??? the hoses r in the same area
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That was first thought. It would have to be a big hole, or a disconnection. But I have partially disassembled the lines around the engine and near the back of engine near combi valve and I can move the oil lines a little but the coolant leak is still just above where the hoses and lines run. I just wish I had a picture of the rear of the engine removed from the car to see what it could be. Or I just have to take it back and risk more charges (possibly) on work I did not see being done. I leak that fast points to bad hose, I guess. Hopefully not a crack in case. But not sure if that could cause a fast leak or not. I have never torn down a whole engine...
if the shop is real close i would go back and say that this was not leaking before and after you have repaired it i have issues with it leaking !!! they may even fix it for free if it is their fault. be stern about it but in a calm manner . anything else?if not.....I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech