Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an Audi A8 2000. I am trying to reset the piston in…

I have an Audi...

I have an Audi A8 2000. I am trying to reset the piston in the rear caliper. I have the reset tool to turn the piston back in. It turned about 1/4 turn then got very hard to turn. Is there a release some where to allow it to go back in ? Or is there something I need to do with the brake fluid?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Audi. The Audi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I have tried turning the piston with the rest tool using a strong pressure on the piston and torque on the piston. I am using a wrench on the tool as it would not turn with the just the T handle. Since the tool only comes wtih a T handle I was expecting that to be enough turning power. I don't want to break the shear pin in the tool.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Audi Mechanic should know about your Audi?

I think that is it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/11/2016
Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Hi im kevin it should just turn back in to caliper .sometimes if you loosen bleed nipple and turn back this can make it easier to turn
I have a caliper that is removed from the car the seal on the piston has a rip and the parking brake lever does not move well. Can the caliper be disassembled and rebuilt? Would it be necessary to use hydraulics to push the piston out or could air be used?
I see that I have been charged #37 CDN for the very short answer, not really a $37 answer. If I may I would like some more about the rear brake calipers.
Sorry for delay in response I'm here as long as you need me . The calipers can sometimes be rebuilt but if seal has torn it's likely damaged the piston and the better option in the long run would be to replace the caliper
Please remember to rate my service
How does the caliper come apart?
If it ceases what part of it ceases?
Basically if you look around the piston there is a rubber seal stopping dirt from getting down the sides of piston to seal and once dirt is in it ests away at the surface of piston and the inside face of caliper .the piston is the part that seizes inside the caliper .getting it out is difficult when its seized and compressed air is normally used to force it out .however piston will likely need to be replaced and in the long run it will be cheaper to replace caliper
Please remember to rate my service
Kevin
Kevin, Technician