Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 allroad 2.7T and am having trouble removing the…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 allroad 2.7T and am having trouble removing the high pressure power steering hose, can not seem to get a 19mm wrench or socket on the banjo bolt because it is too close to other metal, this bolt is on the rack

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Audi. The Audi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I have the wheel well removed and the tire and the guard on the drive shaft and I have a offset 19mm boxend wrench and crows foot but can not get them on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Audi Mechanic should be aware of about your Audi?

No, just blew this hose I am pretty sure, I put more fluid in and watched from below with all the belly pans off and this seems to be the only spot on the middle of the back of the engine it could come from. it blew all at once, no previous leaks or problems

4/23/2016
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. ok did you remove the other line first . if i do recall it is curled up about 2-3 times? a pic will help me out alot so i can have a view of it to make sure!! thanks
I actually can not see another line on the rack but know the low pressure is there. I do not believe my model has the line with the 3 curls. My high pressure line is a straight end one with a rubber section in the middle.
I thought about grinding off the one side of my wrench so it might fit over the bolt. Really hoping I do not need to remove the rack.
you are going through the drivers side where the tie rod moves correct? that is where you have the best access . let me know
no, I was reaching up from below but now I looked and I can see the other line with the 3 twists through there, I will remove that plastic plate and see what I can get at. Do I need to remove the tie rod end or boot cover on it?
you can slice it to get it out of the way!!
Is it easier if I move the wheel all the way to the left or right? got the plate off
when I get the offset box end wrench on the tie rod stops me from being able to loosen it so how do I take the tie rod off? Just remove the bolt on top and push it down?
ok, I got the bolt out of the line with the 3 curls and this is the one I believe has my leak. Now I am trying to snake it out of the car. Do I go out through the wheel side or try to feed it back up through the middle of the engine compartment? Not having much luck with either. Do I have to take the other line off to do this?
take it up! i think the line separates in 2 pieces .
if i remember correctly that hose bolts right around the rear of the valve cover on the passenger side
I got it out, I already had it disconnected up above, it disconnects behind the intake manifold and the other all metal section runs under the intake. I did disconnect the tie rod end which made the access much better for wrench movement. I examined the line and see no definite spot where it was leaking but am fairly certain it was only showing under pressure. There were signs of fluid under the outer sleeve. I had no fluid spilled in the pump area or under the manifold. Most of it actually seems to run down the exhaust on the passenger side and the middle of the belly pan. It all blew out at once while parking. I found no fluid under the rack or on the other line or cooler. Guess I will find out when I get it back together. Does this use two washers or one? I planned on getting new one(s).
I saw someone recommended super gluing the gold washers to the line to make the install easier. Do you think that is ok?
that is not a bad idea . they are a pain to line up!! just do not use alot just a bit to hold in place!! one on each side of the banjo so 2. anything else?if not.....I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Thanks for all your help, I was not even trying to get off the right bolt in the beginning and would not have got this done without all your advice. I have been a pretty good backyard mechanic, but always American cars or Toyota. I bought this Audi for my son for his first car since it seems like a good safe vehicle and the all wheel drive is needed in the winter. You get the highest rating.
my pleasure and have a save one!!
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech