Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Audi A4 Quattro: I have a question that may sound really dumb...

I have a question that...
I have a question that may sound really dumb... but me, nor 3 other people know the name of this part on my car. I have looked at numerous engine diagrams to no avail. It is a 2006 Audi a4 turbo, awd. The part sits behind the engine towards the top. It looks like some kind of pump (maybe, its hard to see as there is little clearance between it and firewall. It has a line that looks like it is linked to the brake system. There is a hose one it with factory clamps that connects it to a metal tube. The problem is this hose looks like it is starting to disintegrate where it is connected and it moves up and down on this part I don't know the name of it, and seems to be connected by some kind of metal fitting. This may be a very vague explanation but hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance. Joel
4/13/2016
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Mechanic
can you post a picture of it?
Thanks for the quick response. This is my first time using this website, I will have to figure out how to upload the picture to it. I can get one as soon as I get home tonight.In the diagram you can see it but it is not numbered. It is between number 5 and number 6, right under the hose.
Its not any of those specifically. If you look at A, the hose coming off of it comes down, then towards the back of the engine. It is that piece under it outlined in black
It is connected to the engine by bolts. It is not wiring or hose. It has a hose coming off of it, and it seems that where the hose connects there is some kind of metal fitting, that is loose.
Use the Paper Clip in the Tool Bar to post pictures or diagrams .pngAudi is not to good with diagramsI will opt out at this time to see if someone else has more info & check back to see if you were able to post a picturethanks
I get off work in 30 minutes... I will be home in around an hour if you don't mind waiting. I appreciate you're help so far trying to figure this out. I'm good with you staying on this until I get the pictures posted if you are.
1st and 2nd pic are overhead shots of the part. 3rd pic is what the hose that attaches to it looks like now, with a gap. 4th pic is me pushing it down. 5th pic shows where it leads.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Sorry for the delay.............That Part that is bolted to the Engine should be the Brake Vacuum Pump : http://www.buyautoparts.com/autoparts/Audi/A4/Brake_Vacuum_Pump.htmlI cannot locate a Part Number for the Hose, but you can use same Inside Diameter Rubber Hose to replace, that most Auto Parts will have
Excellent pictures by the way.............thanks
Okay great. I thought it was some kind of vacuum pump but wanted to be sure... Do you know if I need to replace the pump itself? It seems there is some kind of fitting in there connecting the hose to the pump. It moves up and down. But I have felt no difference in my brakes.
IF there is an issue with the Brakes, then you need to check for leakage or other issues, prior to replacing PumpThis is an assist for the Brakes & it only creates High Vacuum
Alright man sounds good. This definitely helps a lot. I don't like pulling stuff apart unless I know one hundred percent what I'm working on. Everything I've ever done is self taught and I learned that lesson the hard way. Thanks for all your help... Definitely a 5 star rating.
not a problem.....THANK YOUThanks for using J/A
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Mechanic
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Mechanic