Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a massive leak around the torque converter. Replaced…

Customer Question
I have a massive...

I have a massive leak around the torque converter. Replaced the seal and still leaks. Bushing looks fine. Not loose and no obvious signs of damage. Torque converter hub shows no signs of damage

Mechanic's Assistant: Leaks can get messy. The Audi Mechanic will know what to do with your Audi. What model and year is your Audi?

2001 A4 Quattro with a 1.8L turbo engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

That's pretty much it. A massive leak around the torque converter seal

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the seal twice thinking maybe I got a bad seal the first time or had an issue installing it the first time with no luck

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the Audi Mechanic now?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
2/24/2016
Audi Mechanic: Audi0405, Technician replied 2 years ago
Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician

Is it trans fluid or oil leak ??

It is trans fluid
The transmission was supposedly rebuilt before I bought the car. However I can't confirm that. It has leaked since I bought it and has gotten to a point that I won't drive it to avoid any damage. It is from the bell housing area which led me to the torque converter seal. There is no evidence that the pump seal is leaking. Nor any visible damage to the bushing or tc hub.

Is the rear main seal part of the engine dry ??

the rear main is dry along with the engine side of the flex plate

At times the trans pan gasket will leak while driving and then the fluid will run onto the bell housing area have you made sure this is not your case

I have
I was able to seal the torque converter and found a small pin hole leak on one of the welds around 5 psi. But I am having trouble finding a replacement for trans code fal or somewhere near me that could rebuild it

Wow i honestly have never seen a torque converter leak from the welds thats something new for me you more then likely will need to order a new converter