Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.8 that cranks but no start
, I…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I replaced the passenger cylinder head as the camshaft broke and wobbled in the journals. I ensured everything was aligned, camshaft marks on both heads aligned and crank aligned at TDC on #3 cylinder. Used a cam lock bar and crank lock.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
2/3/2016
Audi Mechanic: Audi0405, Technician replied 2 years ago
Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician

Do you have any faults in the ecm ?? have you checked compression in that cylinder head ?? do you have fuel pressure and spark ??? Please answer these questions for me thank you

I believe I figured it out on my own. Timing belt is off 1 tooth on the crankshaft sprocket. I'm going to pull off the timing belt again tonight. I hope that's it.

Ok please check that hopefully you did not bent the valves because this is a interference engine and iff timing is off enough it will cause damage to the valves . I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to provide feedback/rating for the help thank you

After fixing the timing it still won't start. Compression is good and i can smell fuel but no valve to check fuel pressure. Any ideas?

Any faults yet ??

Nope. Still no faults in the ecm.

Please check for spark and compression and let me know the results

Checked compression again and it's low on both cylinder heads. Pulled both heads off and no marks on the pistons to indicate striking the valves. Going to check the valves to see if they are leaking and then relap the valves and check again.
Anything else I should check on the heads while they're off?

Did you do a cylinder leakage test when the heads where still on it ???

The compression held steady if that's what you mean. Using the compression tester, which is the only equipment I had available for testing.

Cylinder leakage tester was needed to be done before you removed the heads to see how much leakage you had in every cylinder