Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2004 Audi Allroad 2.7t is having cooling issues. The

Customer Question
My 2004 Audi Allroad...

My 2004 Audi Allroad 2.7t is having cooling issues. The engine fan only runs when I turn the AC on. The engine temp gauge moves pretty quickly to the 12 oclock position even though I can smell that the engine is hot and can sometimes see a little steam coming from the hood. I have replaced the green temp sensor in the upper hose and the black sensor at the bottom of the radiator. No change in engine temp or overheating.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have ran VAG with no errors showing regarding cooling or sensors.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
2/1/2016
Audi Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

It's possible that either you have a leak in the system, which allows the coolant to boil (it should be able to hold pressure and keep from boiling, like a pressure cooker) or your coolant pump has failed. You can take the small return hose off the coolant bottle, point it into the top of bottle, and rev the engine to about 2000rpm. You should have constant flow, and not a lot of air or spitting.

Audi Mechanic: Jake, Technician replied 2 years ago
Jake
Jake, Technician

Hi and thanks for requesting me. If the engine overheats in about 10 minuets of operation and the fan does not come on, the thermostat is stuck shut. The fans don't come on because there is no coolant flow past the fan sensor in the lower radiator hose. If you check the temperature of the lower radiator hose you can confirm that it is quite a bit cooler than the upper.