Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a slight amount of sludge on the inside top of my…

Customer Question
I have a slight amount...
I have a slight amount of Brown sludge on the inside top of my header tank and on the inside of the filler cap. Car only covers approx. 3000 miles a year and the last time I took the filler cap off was about 4 years ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
1/31/2016
Audi Mechanic: internal88, Technician replied 2 years ago
internal88
internal88, Technician

Hello, I'm Brandon - Audi tech.

The brown sludge has lot to do with short trip interval.

When was the last time you have an oil change?

Typically the PCV valve is clogged or dirty which build up the brown sludge.

https://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/oil-separator-oem-pcv-breather-for-b7-rs4-and-b8-s5-42l-v8-p-923.html

It looks like this in the above link. It cost about $280.

Labor is 1.4 labor hours.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service, thank you!

I think you misunderstood me, header tank as in coolant tank.

Ok, I got it. That will be different. It sounds like a cylinder head gasket damaged.

There are two test you could confirm if is the cylinder head gasket. Will you be doing the test?

What is the test?

1. The easy fast test is to start your engine and see if there is bubble coming up in the coolant tank. If you see lot of bubble that means the head gasket is damaged. Also if you see heavy white smoke from the exhaust. That is also an indicator.

2. http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Combustion-Leak-Detector-P58326.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9ZV3dnWIf8C-rMMPaZWTEDi_M2Itxg43Ef_dGWTjc4xoCjfbw_wcB

There is a kit out there to check if there is combustion gas leak inside the coolant system.