Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005.5 A4 B7 with the 2.0T. I have a block to

I have a 2005.5 A4...
I have a 2005.5 A4 B7 with the 2.0T. I have a long block to install after a timing belt failure. I have all the bolts holding the engine to the transmission but the engine and transmission will not separate. I don't think the engine and transmission have ever been separated. they appear to be "frozen" together, so I've tried hammering all along the bell housing and it won't break loose. I am using penetrating fluid, rubber hammer also. Is there a technique to break the seal?
1/27/2016
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There are dowel pins that lock the transmission in place onto the engine block as well as the nub on the torque converter can stick in the flywheel.Make sure you have all bolts removed as shown numbered here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bdchma3gdhah8x/dow-01-27.gif?dl=0.The letters A are the dowels that stick.Use a pry bar or screwdriver and slowly try and pry apart at the dowel pin locations rocking the transmission with the transmission at an upward angle to the engine.The torque convrter may require a long screw driver to break loose from the fly wheel as well once its bolts are removed.

Other then this there are no other tricks.They just stick together making it difficult to separate in some cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

My A4 is a manual if that makes a difference. I am sure that I have removed all connecting bolts.

O.k.,if you have removed all bolts you dont need to worry about the torque converter itself for this issue here but the manual transmission is a tight fit on the engine dowel pins.In fact it can take a pry bar or long screw driver or similar on each side of the transmission and wiggling these to free it up.I have also had to jack up the transmission to relieve pressure on the pins when doing this as well as lower the transmission to relieve pressure to free it up off of the dowel pins for removal for this here.There isnt any secret hidden bolts it is just tough to break free.In fact the instructions state to " - Press transmission off dowel sleeves and lower carefully"

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

I should have mentioned that I have the engine suspended on a hoist. I have removed the motor mounts completely. So I am assuming that same thing holds true that the transmission should be up angle from the engine?

When you disconnect the transmission you want to just move it enough to where you can access the slave cylinder.You should have it in an up position but you may have to carefully rock it up and down while trying to break/pry it loose to free it up.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician