Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 04 Audi A4 quatro 6 speed just put a used

Customer Question
resurfaced head on with valve...
I have a 04 Audi A4 quatro 6 speed just put a used resurfaced head on with valve job all new gaskets went to crank after installation, cranked right up let idol for 10 seconds turned off. Checked every thing started again, when the car started this time it ran for about 6 seconds and then died now no start, no fuel, no spark, mil on dtc p0688 p0341. Read a bit on code. Pulled ecm carpartment had 2 inches of water. I cleaned with electrical cleaner and air. Relay 219 is bad I believe other 2 are ok wish I knew test to check ecm. And where is the ecm relay location. Also checked cps sensor and swaped with known good one. One more thing idk if related since vehicle started in this condion there is a electrical chip with capacitors next to the abs brake has some cut wires. Will send photos.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
1/23/2016
Audi Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

To start with, the ecm relay is located in the 4 relay carrier underneath the air plenum chamber on driver side of engine compartment at firewall- see attached

Once you get the photos, use the paperclip icon to upload them for me

I'm not around the car at the moment but is that relay 219?

HI,

Sorry, dont have a relay number, just position

Can you tell me how to test the relay, and how to test ecm I have Matco ohmn meter and power probe. And is this related to my dtc p0341 and p0688
Ok I had the Matco tool truck bring relay by pass test kit and I made the relay 219 work and it pops ecm 20a fuse instantly. I'm thinkin a short in the coil wire harness as thier brittle but the water in the ecm compartment still has me worried that the ecm is bad.
Audi Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

if you had water in the ecm compartment then more then likely it is bad their is not really many test you can do on it to determine weather it is bad or not you can send it off to have it tested or take it to a dealer that has the appropriate software to test but their is company online that will test them for 75 dollars

What all models Carry the same ecm I'm going to the pull a part scrap yard there is a lot of a6,Jetta,Passat,golf, 1.8ts an 2.7 I'd like to know all the years and models and motors interchangable

you will need to use the same model as yours for ecm but 04 to 07 will work

My friend has an 03 Audi A4 some body motor ect. The ecm from the 03 won't work in 04?

let me check to be sur e

it will work i do apologize i thought it said 04 to 07 but yes an 03 ecm will work just fine

if you need anything else please let me know and be sure to rate my service when you get the chance

f you need anything else please let me know and be sure to rate my service when you get the chance

unhook the battery for 20 min i will reset the computer should allow you to connect after that