Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a 2005 Audi Allroad 4.2. When it is real cold the car

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Audi Allroad 4.2. When it is real cold the car will not start but as it warms up it starts normally and has no other issues. Everything comes on when the key is turned so I believe it must be the ignition relay but I cannot find it. I looked under the drivers left side knee kick as many had suggested not to find it there. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

just to make sure so the vehicle will not crank or it cranks and does not start. 2 different scenarios !!! also will need a vin # ***** to assist thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it cranks, it starts and runs normally. On a very cold morning twenty degrees or less it will not turn over at all, the starter does not turn. As soon as it warms up to 30+ degrees it starts normally. I do not believe it is the starter. VIN is WA1YL64b35n201857 I believe it is a cranky ignition relay. I just do not know where to look for it.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

let me see what i can get to assist. this may take a few to get a game plan set for you!! thanks

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok you will need a voltmeter to make some electrical checks. with the issue being when cold when it acts up is going to be difficult at times there is a w pin connector at right side of the fire wall with one of the wires is red/black and pretty thick. you need to check at that wire if you are getting 12 volts or not . to isolate if starter or wiring to the ignition switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's warm now so the car is starting fine and starter is getting power. I'd have to do this early in the morning when it will not start. I'd just really like to know where the ignition relay is located. Thanks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

it is #4 relay of the attached pic and it has 207 on relay itself!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great, but I need to know where the panel is located. I cannot find it.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

located drivers side under the dash so the lower panel needs to be removed to gain access!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I first mentioned, I completely removed the driver side knee panel to find it was not there. Other people have had the same experience not finding it in that location. That is the reason I paid $31 to find the answer from an expert. The location of the panel is all I need or wanted to know.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

let me double check on this sometimes the info comes up mixed up !!! can you take a pic of the left side so i can see what you are seeing . thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already put the dash back together. I pulled the panel out and the pictures online show very clearly the location of the relay panel when it is in this location. In my car there is avoid where the panel would otherwise be. This has been the experience of others with this make and model of Audi. That is why when your company answered that you knew the location, I paid the fee.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok i need you to go to the spare tire area . there is a white 3x5 sticker . can you take a pic of the sticker please and post here. that sticker has option and build info which will help me find the info !! thanks