Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Audi A4 has rough idle okay when rpm is above 1.2k
,

Customer Question
Customer: Audi A4 has rough...
Customer: Audi A4 has rough idle okay when rpm is above 1.2k
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: have 5 fault codes 16684 randon multi cyl misfire
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Audi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure how does this work exactly?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Audi
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ran diagnostic
VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Saturday, 09 January 2016, 15:03:07.
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 909 518 F
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0005
Software Coding:(###) ###-#### Work Shop Code: WSC 91450
VCID: 33199CCF122D
10 Faults Found:
17964 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation
P1556 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
16804 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0420 - 002 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
16684 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0300 - 001 - Please Register/Activate
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16688 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0304 - 001 - Please Register/Activate
16686 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0302 - 001 - Please Register/Activate
16687 - Cylinder 3: Misfire Detected
P0303 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
17536 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1128 - 001 - Please Register/Activate
17887 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1479 - 008 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
17887 - Brake Boost Vacuum System: Mechanical Failure
P1479 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittentcleared codes and started engine again and reran diagnositcs
VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Saturday, 09 January 2016, 15:06:08.
VCID: 33199CCF122D
5 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16685 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0301 - 001 - Please Register/Activate
P0304 - 001 - Please Register/Activate
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16687 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0303 - 001 - Please Register/Activate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2002 A4 1.8T
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/10/2016
Audi Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 1 year ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

What engine do you have? it looks like you have a vacuum leak, not only the misfires at idle, but the fault for a "brake booster vacuum system mechanical failure". You should be able to hear the hissing if you listen in the engine bay with the engine running. Roll the vacuum lines and other vacuum hoses between your fingers to feel for cracking or flattened hoses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 1.8T. Why does it seem to run fine at 1200rpm or more?

Because of a few different reasons- at idle, the intake manifold vacuum is at it's highest, so any air leak is going to be sucking strongest at that time. Also, at idle your throttle body is closed pretty far down, so any amount of "unmetered" air in the system is going to be pretty large compared to the amount coming through that tiny throttle body gap.

The 1.8T has some common vacuum leak points- if you take a look at the valve cover, there is a rubber "Y" pipe at the end of it, check that and then follow that to the plastic curved pipe below it which often cracks right below the rubber pipe. Also, on the underside of the intake manifold, there are a couple of vacuum fittings with half inch lines- they often crack there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I will check tomorrow. Could it be the PCV?

That Y pipe at the end of the valve cover is part of the PCV system. It runs down to a one-way valve below the intake at the front of the block, and directs to a couple different hoses. The hoses break more commonly than the valve, but if I find anything broken in there I usually replace all the hoses and the valve (as trying to take any of it apart usually breaks it anyway)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, bad news when I tried to pop my trunk the cable broke. I put it on a ramp and I can see the cable and the ball attached to a bracket dangling. Is there any way to open my trunk? I took it to a shop and they tell me they have to remove the fender or the bumper to open it. Is there an easier way?
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician