Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Name is Matt & I have a 2006 A3 with 3.2L v6 with 162,000km.

Hi name is Matt...

Hi name is Matt & I have a 2006 A3 with 3.2L v6 with 162,000km. Over the past month or so I have had the CEL come on which showed a "too lean code"My mechanic has replaced the MAF sensor,fuel filter & one of the O2 sensors. The car is running rough especially at higher speeds & stalls occasionally at idle-mostly upon reaching 90 degrees. Frustrated I am now taking it to the dealer to see if they can correct the problem....what else could it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Hmmm what else can I tell you?....no power especially once it hits 80km /hour or so,less obvious in the city at lower speeds.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Audi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

1/5/2016
Matt, Engineer

hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Matt, Engineer
Thanks For your response. I assume this is something the dealer can easily do. I assume their scanning computers can pinpoint this problem specifically so I don't have to replace a host of sensors & parts unnecessarily. I thought I would save some money by going to other mechanics but it doesn't seem to be working. Please advise.
Matt, Engineer