Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Wolfgang, The following codes are present when I run ODBC II

Customer Question
diags: P-171 System too Lean...
Wolfgang, The following codes are present when I run ODBC II diags: P-171 System too Lean on Bank 1 P-299 Turbo Super Charger under Boost P-300 Multiple Cylinder Misfires P-301 Cylinder 1 Misfires P-302 Cylinder 2 Misfires P-303 Cylinder 3 Misfires P-304
Cylinder 4 Misfires P-706 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit RNS End of Error Codes, the P-706 error I thought was the TCM module, even though I've never been able to correct the random misfires, tried the normal spark plugs, and coil packs, actually replaced
all of them twice, second time because Audi insisted they were the cause and the probably the wrong types, don't think that was so. Anyhow don't quite know what to do, was going to replace the TCM is easy and possible. Sounds like it will be neither. Think
the P-706 Error is the TCM ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
12/9/2015
Audi Mechanic: Wolfgang, Audi master tech replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

the first thing is to address the p0171 fault. what scan tool are you using ? make and model?

thanks

I normally use my TOAD laptop softwame Scanmaster ver 2,,0 build 771

can you get miture readings while running ? can you emulate vag mode and do a basic settings test 107?

I've got to do some research, never used this tester for anything other than check engine lite reset and to read codes.

Please do need to see if the engine is running lean at idle or not

I'm sure the engine is running lean at idle but not at higher speed

This is where the scan tool is absolutely necessary to read the mixture values and start to use carb spray to isolate vacuum leaks first or pinch hoses and look at the readings. Dirty test if you see oil residue around any of the breather connections is a tell tale sign of a vacuum leak/air leak.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech