Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

I have a 2007 A3 2.0 non quattro. I'm not getting any action

Customer Question
out of the starter. With...
I have a 2007 A3 2.0 non quattro. I'm not getting any action out of the starter. With the key on there is ~10.4v at the energize side of the starter solenoid (small wire, not the +battery cable, it has battery voltage as it should) and then it jumps to battery voltage once the key is turned to start. I thought that was odd to have any voltage there when not turning the key but I put a starter on it anyway. It's a reman bosch unit. But I'm still getting the same exact thing. So for grins I put a new ignition switch in because it's cheap. Still the same thing. Should there be any voltage to the starter with just the key on?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
12/1/2015
Audi Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be due to a fault with a starter/crank relay as most models use.I have seen some of these relays fail in the past before needing replaced to correct faults like this.The starter ignition feed circuit needs tested to see if this is a relay at fault needing replaced as I agree you shouldnt see voltage at the starter until the key is turned to the crank/starting position.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete.. Thank you for your reply. Yes I agree that was my thought, I believe it's relay 433 under the dash. However, when you turn the key the voltage at the starter jumps to battery voltage but still does not engage the starter. Only explanation I can think of is the voltage is there but not the current.
due to too much resistance in the faulty relay

Yes this is correct.The resistance contacts can be worn or shorted causing this fault here.I have seen the contacts in the relay cause issues like this here with the relay needing replaced to correct this fault.

Thanks Pete

Well unless I am looking at the wrong relay, that wasn't the problem. I just put a new one in and still nothing. So there's something else in the circuit causing the problem. Do you have a wiring diagram for the starter circuit?

Unfortunately my info isnt showing me the exact diagram on this here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I have solved the issue, burned terminal inside the connector at the starter. Please close this question so I am not charged. Thank you

That is great to hear it has been resolved.I will send this to customer service.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician