gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

I have a 1998 Quattro wagon v6 and its flailing between 2nd

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Quattro wagon v6 and its flailing between 2nd and 3rd gear 180k miles, been doing it for 70k miles. Currently putting it back on road but still has this problem. What are your thoughts of longevity
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean "flailing"? Do the revs shoot high, like it is slipping or not engaging either gear at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just seeing if you got my response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While driving it hesisitates from second then slams into 3rd . I can let off accelarator in between gears and shift is smoother.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does your PRNDL display on the dash show normal? Have you ever had it scanned for faults? It sounds like the solenoid that drops pressure between shifts is "out of sync" with the shifting, or maybe the plates in the clutch pack for 3rd are sticking. If you've never had a fluid change on your tranny, I would do so, including dropping the pan and changing the filter. At that time you can see if there is any metal flake or other particles in the pan that would indicate breakdown of clutch discs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much fluid does it take and how much does the fluid cost per quart. I understand that fluid in torque converters usually stays in there on domestic vehicle unless plug is accessed and pulled. What about on audis?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

It should be about 4.5-5 quarts, but be aware that a special synthetic fluid is needed for VAG vehicles. And I bet you probably don't have a dipstick on this, it should have a fill port that requires it to be filled through the bottom with a gravity filler or a pressure tank.