Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

My 1985 Audi 4000s Quattro 5 speed gear shift lever feels

Customer Question
like it wants to kick...
My 1985 Audi 4000s Quattro 5 speed gear shift lever feels like it wants to kick back to the neutral position no matter which gear it's shifted into? The lever feels sloppy in all positions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
Is this a linkage issue or worn parts in the shift lever? You can see the gap between the ball/socket when you push down on the top of the shifter knob in all positions (not only reverse).
Also, what is the best way to test a window operator motor?
10/22/2015
Audi Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

You can just get a new shift lever shaft, with the ball on the bottom. The ball should look smooth, if the outer shell has worn away it will look like it has "ribs" on the outside of it and will have a lot of play. You will be amazed how nice and tight it feels once you get this replaced. I'd also check the linkage for any worn bushings, getting rid of any slop in there will give you nice crisp shifts and make your drive feel good again.

The motor- I would check for power at the connector when the switch is activated. You can also jump power directly to the motor to see if it operates. The "quick and dirty" test for the window- turn on the dome light with the key on, engine not running. Watch the dome light while you click the button- if the motor is trying to work but the regulator is stuck, the light will dim as the motor tries to draw power. If you don't see it dim, try it a few times- but if it doesn't dim, I would then check to see if you have power at the connector with activation

My 1985 4000s Quattro front electric windows work fine. The drivers side back window won't work at all and the passengers back window will only roll down ! Is there anything other than the switches or window motors that could be an issue? What is the function of the window relay and is it used for all four windows?Where is my water pump located on the vehicle and is it easily removable?

The water pump is driven by the timing belt, so it is inside the timing belt cover on the belt end of the engine.

For the windows, I would check the wiring harnesses in the rubber boot between the body and the door, look for any broken wires. Especially on a vehicle this old, when I see them on vehicles from the early 2000s!

gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician