Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

My 06 A4 recently has not been able to stay in "S" mode, the

Customer Question
gear shift will go into...
My 06 A4 recently has not been able to stay in "S" mode, the gear shift will go into that gear but not stay there
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/12/2015
Audi Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

Any indication that there are faults stored (check engine light on?)

No CEL
Car runs and drives just as before thus began

Is the problem with Sport mode, or are you trying to use the Tiptronic gate to manually shift? The Sport mode just holds shifts longer, allowing you to rev higher before upshifting, but makes for slightly harsher shifts. Is this the mode you are trying to use?

sport mode, I ised to be able to move the gear shift into sport mode and it would stay there now it doesnt.

Are you able to shift into the Tiptronic gate as well, and use the + and - to shift up and down? I have seen a lot of issues where foreign material (or spilled soda) gets into the protective plastic shields that slide with the shifter, and stick, causing shifting issues or even damage to the Tiptronic gate magnets. If there are sticking issues, you will have to remove the center console around the shifter in order to remove and either clean or replace the shifter cover piece, depending on situation.

The tiptronic works fine, I use it each time I drive.

So it is able to stay in place in the Tiptronic, but in the Sport it drops back to Drive? I would watch the trim rubber strip for any sign of binding when you drive next, but worst case scenario is that you may have to change out the shifter assembly (the part in the car, not the cables or the transmission) It has detent built into it which may be worn, especially if you always use it in S or Tip.

I hardly ever drive in sport. How difficult is it to change out the shifter assembly?

So it will stay in position in the Tiptronic gate? It's not necessarily difficult to replace the shifter, more a matter of disassembling the cent r console and being able to refit it smoothly- which can be kind of fiddly. The shifter unbolts and the cable disconnects from it easily enough.

Stays in tiptronic just fine, sport mode is straight back from park and it will not stay on that mode

If you never drive in Sport, why does it matter? If it will stay in the normal drive position, or Tiptronic which you prefer- but I understand about having a system that SHOULD work and does not. It's up to you to make the decision on whether it is worth fixing or not.

it is worth fixing but first I need to know what I need to fix, hence the reason for contacting you.

Yes, it would be the shifter assembly.

gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician