sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I have had a 2011 Audi Q5 S-line 3 years, and I have heard a

Customer Question

I have had a 2011 Audi Q5 S-line for about 3 years, and I have heard a "pop" sound on the drivers side wheel well when cranking hard (driving in and out of the garage). I didn't think much of it and then I started getting a groaning sound when steering and some noticeable shaking and noise at low speeds when cranking the wheel from one side to another. I did some research and thought it was this problem:
http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-discussion-129/q5-power-steering-problem-2832786/
The fix appeared to be doing the following:
Power steering hose malfunctioning.
Perform TSB #(###) ###-####1.
R & I Power Assisted Steering Hose. 4894 1900 110 T.U.
FP-Number 8K1-422-893-CJ
Description: Flex. Hose
I found this solution TSB from this thread which appears to match the issue exactly:
http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-discussion-129/possible-tsb-q5-steering-shudder-2798728/
The problem got worse with the sound getting louder and the power steering becoming weaker, until I took it into the shop where we found that the power steering fluid was very low, due to a leak coming from the front driver side steering rack boot.
When the shop got it up on the lift, they have said it was not the TSB flex hose referenced above, and instead said that the seals on the steering rack are leaking and it would require a conplete replacement of the steering rack. Does this seem like it is the most plausible diagnosis?
Category: Audi
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The pop noise may or may not be related to what you're dealing with currently. The noise may have been due to a steering or suspension issue such as a ball joint, sway bar link or strut mount.

If the rack has fluid in a boot then the rack will definitely need to be replaced. All fluid is contained in the rack and there are seals at the ends, the tie rod boots should never have fluid in them. Fluid in the boots does indicate a failure of the rack and will require it's replacement.

If the pop is still present after the rack is replaced then a complete inspection of the suspension should be done, it would be a good idea to mention the pop noise to the shop doing the work and they can see if there are any other issues while it's already in the air and apart.