Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

My 2001 audi tt roadster is leaking water on the floor mat.

Customer Question
Theirs no visual leak found...
my 2001 audi tt roadster is leaking water on the floor mat. Theirs no visual leak found other than my floor mat getting soaked in water. I have recently made sure all my rain drain system where clear n clean but my floor still gets wet. I have made a test with a gallon of water by pouring it on the windshield and my carpet got soaked again so I when ahead and rubber coated the bottom of the windshield with a can of rubber spray since I only poured water on the bottom of the windshield. I waited for it to dry n poured more water n it wet my carpet again. What could it be if its not a windshield problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Audi
8/30/2015
Audi Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

Hi I'm Kevin did you remove wipers and cover to check scuttle drains?

yeah I did, I made sure everything was clean. I also poured water and the water seems to come out just fine but somehow part of it also goes inside my floor

Ok and is pollen / micro filter getting wet

mmmm its that the air filter for the ac then no. When I took the plastic scuttle that snaps under the windshield the filter seem dry

Yes that's the one it's good if that's dry on the one hand as it means the water isn't filling right up and into air inlet but it rules out the normal place for leak first is car convertable / hardtop ,sunroof ? And where are you pouring water to get leak on top of screen or on bottom ?

when I pour water I pour it on the half way up middle of the windshield to make sure it doesn't get the side of the windshield. I also rubber coated that plastic scuttle to the windshield to make sure the water wouldn't squeeze between the windshield and that plastic scuttle. Its a convertible top

Ok I'm gonna opt out I don't think I can help more without seeing car a can't think of anything else in that area if drains are clear another expert will be along shortly

ok tnx
Audi Mechanic: Wolfgang, Audi master tech replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

where the pollen filter is seated in the housing , there is a gasket that seals the pollen filter housing to the body . have you removed that to see if the gasket is torn or compressed where it will not seal any more? was there any work done recently like a/c work or heater core that may involve the fire wall area?

please let me know

No ac work has been , n ill have t check that area again u have mention. It it where t be because of the pollen seal would that cause for both sides to get wet?
Done*

both sides of what . the pollen filter would not get wet but the housing if not sealed will cause water ingress in the cabin. is it only the passenger side getting wet ?

By both sides i mean the driver side n passenger side cabin floor. Both sides of the cabin (driver n passenger ) are getting wet

is there a duck bill drain under the battery when the battery is removed and is that clogged?

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech